Irish red help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am trying out my first recipe using beer smith so I wanted some advice. A lot of the malts I have never used. Any input would be great.

5.5 Gallon batch

Irish Red

8 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb caramunich
1 lb carared
8 oz crystal 120

maybe 4 oz of flaked barley but probably not needed?
I also have some roasted barley if it looks like I need to cut some of the crystal or caras.

For hops I plan on 1 oz kent goldings for 60min, .5 oz willamette at 15 min and .5 oz willamette at 5 min.

Using Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale.

Beersmith Est. OG at 1.055.

You need some roasted barley to give it a true toasty Irish Red flavor. I'd add about 6 oz roasted barley and drop the C120 and caramunich to about 6 oz each, and I'd remove the carared altogether. Also, I'd go with just a single hop addition at 60m for about 25 IBUs and for that I'd go with the goldings.

guidelines say, "Generally has a bit of roasted barley to provide reddish color and dry roasted finish"

A little bit of pale chocolate malt can be nice as well, ~1-2oz in addition to the roasted barley.

Thanks for the advice all. I did order some roasted barley when I ordered my grains just in case that was going to make the better beer so I should be set. Anyone have a good recipe to use the cara red in?

Back