Blackberry wine, intense sulfur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damdaman

Reaction score
As in, worse than rhino farts (which I've experienced before). This has more of an edge to it, it's sharper, and there's no smell of "normal" fermentation accompanying it.

When I opened the bucket to stir it today I nearly got sick.

I pitched 1 packet of pasteur champagne yeast (3gal batch) after letting the must sit with campden tablets for 24 hours. Used plenty of nutrient (actually a bit more than necessary).

Is there anything I can do about this, or is my wine possibly going to be ruined? Or RDWHAHB? Maybe just stressed yeast as it gets off to a slow start due to the campden?

As in, worse than rhino farts (which I've experienced before). This has more of an edge to it, it's sharper, and there's no smell of "normal" fermentation accompanying it.

When I opened the bucket to stir it today I nearly got sick.

I pitched 1 packet of pasteur champagne yeast (3gal batch) after letting the must sit with campden tablets for 24 hours. Used plenty of nutrient (actually a bit more than necessary).

Is there anything I can do about this, or is my wine possibly going to be ruined? Or RDWHAHB? Maybe just stressed yeast as it gets off to a slow start due to the campden?

That's not a good sign at all. I'd sanitize a big spoon, and stir it up to see if it dissipates. How long ago did you pitch the yeast? Any fermentation happening? Any SG readings?

It's been about 20 hours since I pitched the yeast. I already stirred it once and now the whole room smells like it, so it at least dissipated into the house. :)

Unfortunately I forgot to take an OG reading. There are airlock bubbles every 5-10 seconds, but not the intense constant bubbling I would normally expect. I think there is some fermentation activity because it was definitely very still when I pitched yesterday, and when I opened to stir today there was a layer of berry pulp floating on top and there was bubbling when I stirred (co2).

Should I stir more? Add more nutrient or energizer maybe?

It's been about 20 hours since I pitched the yeast. I already stirred it once and now the whole room smells like it, so it at least dissipated into the house. :)

Unfortunately I forgot to take an OG reading. There are airlock bubbles every 5-10 seconds, but not the intense constant bubbling I would normally expect. I think there is some fermentation activity because it was definitely very still when I pitched yesterday, and when I opened to stir today there was a layer of berry pulp floating on top and there was bubbling when I stirred (co2).

Should I stir more? Add more nutrient or energizer maybe?

Yes, stir several times a day and add both nutrient and energizer if you have it. You want to make sure you're not going to have a problem with H2S.

Thanks, I'll do that. I'd be pretty bummed if this one doesn't work as I spent a lot of time (and accumulated a lot of scratches!) picking these berries.

One thing is that I didn't wash the berries cuz a lot of them were crushed and I didn't want to lose the juice, so I was depending on the campden to sanitize. I added 4 tablets to a 3gal batch, but the total volume right now is closer to 4gal because the berries are still in there... not sure if any of that can cause problems.

Thanks, I'll do that. I'd be pretty bummed if this one doesn't work as I spent a lot of time (and accumulated a lot of scratches!) picking these berries.

One thing is that I didn't wash the berries cuz a lot of them were crushed and I didn't want to lose the juice, so I was depending on the campden to sanitize. I added 4 tablets to a 3gal batch, but the total volume right now is closer to 4gal because the berries are still in there... not sure if any of that can cause problems.

That should be ok.

Stir it as often as you can, and if it's still stinky tomorrow, I'd sanitize a new bucket and splash rack or pour to it.

FYI I stirred aggressively to release the h2s, added some energizer and nutrient, and moved it closer to the heater (realized it was only at 66*). Airlock is bubbling normally already and it doesn't smell nearly as bad.

FYI I stirred aggressively to release the h2s, added some energizer and nutrient, and moved it closer to the heater (realized it was only at 66*). Airlock is bubbling normally already and it doesn't smell nearly as bad.

That's great news! Keep at it, and hopefully it'll all dissipate soon and you'll have no further issues.

So glad to see a response to a concern without having to wait! Our nectarine-peach wine (all clean fruit, proper chemicals added, etc.) has a sulfur smell at three weeks and I hoped there would be an answer on the board - thank you so much!
I think the transition from a/c to heat wasn't quite quick enough and we had cool days/cold nights for about a week during this time; had bubbling every day though. Still smells yeasty so if I add nutrient and energizer and stir until the sulfur dissipates do you think that will help?

stir hard twice a day and if it doesn't go away after fermentation then you can try stirring with a copper pipe, if that doesnt work you may be screwed, wineries use copper sulfate but i wouldnt mess with that stuff.

Back