American Pale Ale 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this the other day with Australian Galaxy instead of Cascade, with Citra for the dry hop. I've brewed this before and it's a pretty good basic pale ale to showcase the hops. I've never used Australian Galaxy before, so I was hoping to brew something that really brings out the character.

Here is the falconers flight version I did. Two lbs of Munich and 1 lb. c-75. Very malty, has a nice hop dryness at the end, very citrusy on the hops. Really excited about this one

image-3545720375.jpg

Tykees said:
Here is the falconers flight version I did. Two lbs of Munich and 1 lb. c-75. Very malty, has a nice hop dryness at the end, very citrusy on the hops. Really excited about this one

Can you post your full recipe? I have e a pound of falconer's flight and I would be interested in trying this.

tcory77 said:
Can you post your full recipe? I have e a pound of falconer's flight and I would be interested in trying this.

Yeah. I did 2 oz. at 30 min. 1 oz. at 15 and 1oz. At 5. One ounce dry hop. I used bry-97 for the yeast. 6 lbs. golden light dme

2nd brew to date invited my brother to come over and help. Start to finish 2 hrs and it smells great and is fermenting like crazy now as we speak awesome recipie will def do again hope it's tasty

I ended up using Centennial instead of Cascade and its still good.

IMG_20130421_160742.jpg

IMG_20130421_160745.jpg

Wow, this gets better and better. I'll need to cut back the malts a little next time, as my 7.2%, is a bit much for a pale, lol. It started higher and finished lower than expected.

Mine has just gone in the keg tried a small sample ad it's beautiful it's come out at 6.2% :) I will definitely do it again next time I might do exactly half and half cascade and simcoe same addition times what does everyone think that will come out like ??

I just made my second batch and it was not as good as my first. I pitched on an old cake and left in primary 3 weeks not four then racked to secondary and dry hopped for a week. Didn't use a bag another mistake. Going to do again the new yeast no dry hop and no secondary

The version I've been brewing lately, adding 3oz orange peel and 1oz coriander at end of boil, has been a BIG hit, especially with my Bud Light drinking friends. The orange and coriander diminish the Cascades though, just an FYI.

ALSO - my last batch I added 2.5oz of Gran Marnier to the bottling bucket. Magnifique!!! Adds a such a subtle different flavor. A killer orange pale ale.

Cheers!!!

Brewing a 10 gallon stout recipe this weekend. Going to brew this one while I wait for my water to boil and my mash to complete.

BrewmeisterSmith said:
Brewing a 10 gallon stout recipe this weekend. Going to brew this one while I wait for my water to boil and my mash to complete.

This has been my mode of operation during my previous two brew days. While the mash is going on my AG batch, I knock out this recipe. Great recipe. Easy to time it such that this is cooling during the sparge of the other. This one is done and in the fermenter right around the time the AG batch is getting to a boil. So I can get two batches of beer made in the same amount of time it takes to brew one AG batch. I imagine with you doing a 10 gallon AG, you won't have any trouble fitting this in. Good luck.

So a few weeks ago i brewed this recipie. Im just curious if there is away to get a justlittle more caramel flavor. It has been bottled for a weekish and has some very good carbonation already. I cracked 1 last night just to check co2 levels..... And has good head and co2 already so i drank it and oh man it was tasty!!!

image-1829208480.jpg

Thats the bottom of the glass!!!!

Here's why I love my refractometer! I got up early this morning to get a jumpstart on my brew day. Started this recipe with a pre-boil volume of 7 gallons like I normally do for a 60 minute boil. Ooops, way too much water for a 15 minute recipe. So, I just boiled off enough until the refractometer got me close to 1.055 OG. Note to self, start your pre-boil volume closer to the final volume you desire for this recipe.

I was very excited about brewing this recipe yet rather skeptical. I used whole fresh cascades and followed the recipe verbatim. Crash cooled at 4 weeks and dry hopped in the keg. I was a bit unimpressed at 4 weeks but now after almost 3 weeks on the keg dry hop this beer is really shining. It is a very pleasant pale ale with nice caramel notes. The chill haze is gone and it looks and tastes great. Kudos to the original creator. Well done and thanks.

30trm06.jpg

I just thought I should throw down a thanks for this great, easy recipe. I brewed the original recipe a few months back and heartily enjoyed it. Just a day or two ago I brewed up another batch using amarillo in place of the cascade. I can hear it bubbling across the room as I write this. Sometimes a two hour brew day is just the right recipe for a busy family life.

So, if I was going to make a 11 gallon batch, would the following be true;

Double Everything

15lbs Light Liquid Malt Extract added to the boil
2lbs Crystal 60
Hops
5oz Cascade 7.5% AA at 15 min
2oz Cascade 7.5%aa at 5 min
1 oz Cascade 7.5% at flameout
2oz Cascade Dry Hop

Just brewed this for the second time. I love this recipe so much.

I think my office is a bit warm for the Notty yeasties at 70°F, but now I know how to very quickly rig up a blowoff setup out of the main part of a three-piece airlock and the tube from my autosiphon. Luckily, I caught it before it spewed all over my gaming PC. Plus, my office now smells like beer.

Quick question (or two): I think I should have started with 6 gallons of water instead of 5.5. My fermenter is a bit under 5 gallons. Should I just leave it alone, or can I add some pre-boiled room temperature water when I dry-hop, to bring it up to 5 gallons? I'm going to keg this batch (first time kegging)--do I need to worry about too much headspace in the corny keg if I only get about 4.5 gallons out of this batch?

Thanks!

Best bet is to leave it alone. Once you get it in the keg you will be in a co2 environment (to my knowledge) and oxygen shouldn't be a worry. Someone with more experience may want to chime in since i am in the same boat and a kegging rookie.

I just started my 2nd batch yesterday and plan on making this my first kegged beer. I used centennial hops and still plan on dry-hopping with citra along with BRY-97 again. I might up the dry hop, but playing that by ear.

Still need to buy my regulators and co2 and get my temperature control in order before getting my keg setup underway.

frogtaco said:
Quick question (or two): I think I should have started with 6 gallons of water instead of 5.5. My fermenter is a bit under 5 gallons. Should I just leave it alone, or can I add some pre-boiled room temperature water when I dry-hop, to bring it up to 5 gallons? I'm going to keg this batch (first time kegging)--do I need to worry about too much headspace in the corny keg if I only get about 4.5 gallons out of this batch?
Thanks!

I'd leave it alone. You risk oxidization (and will water down your beer) if you add extra water to the fermenter now. And you can safely keg any amount since the remainder of the space in the keg will be filled with pressurized CO2 (which is why you're also OK drinking the keg over weeks or months as the liquid level drops, unlike those party taps that use air to pressurize and the beer goes bad in just a few days).

I did this with Crystal 60, Columbus 2 oz at 30 min, 1 oz @ 10, and 1 oz @ flameout, 7 lbs extra light DME, and brewvint's 1% boost. I don't think I'm going to dry hop as hopville showed me I'm sitting at a healthy 86 IBU now....I'll report when it's done.

I did this with Crystal 60, Columbus 2 oz at 30 min, 1 oz @ 10, and 1 oz @ flameout, 7 lbs extra light DME, and brewvint's 1% boost. I don't think I'm going to dry hop as hopville showed me I'm sitting at a healthy 86 IBU now....I'll report when it's done.

Dry hopping will not add any ibu's. Only aroma, fyi.

I brewed this a while ago and initially it tasted great. It was just a little scattered on the finish. I left it alone for a few weeks in the keg and it has lost all its flavor aroma and bitterness and tastes like a malty mess. Not sure what happened but I am not happy with this one and wont brew it again. So much praise for this but for me it was too good to be true. Anyone else noticed this after about the 2 month mark?

I brewed this recipe yesterday. It was my second time brewing. So...it boiled over after the first addition of hops, so I lost some wort and some of the hops. It seemed darker than the pictures I've seen posted on the thread, and I was using a turkey fryer. I've heard that might cause a problem. Lastly; I don't think there was enough headspace in my bucket that I'm using as a primary. I had left over wort that I couldn't fit in the bucket so I tossed it rather than fill up the bucket even more. I had to rig up a blow off hose, but there is some leakage. I am encouraged that this beer seems to be a successful recipe even if I've screwed up a bit.

I brewed this recipe yesterday. It was my second time brewing. So...it boiled over after the first addition of hops, so I lost some wort and some of the hops. It seemed darker than the pictures I've seen posted on the thread, and I was using a turkey fryer. I've heard that might cause a problem. Lastly; I don't think there was enough headspace in my bucket that I'm using as a primary. I had left over wort that I couldn't fit in the bucket so I tossed it rather than fill up the bucket even more. I had to rig up a blow off hose, but there is some leakage. I am encouraged that this beer seems to be a successful recipe even if I've screwed up a bit.

I had a boil over too! Good call on the toss out as well as I had plenty of room and a blow off tube and I still got to clean the keezer/fermenter as this thing blew off my blow off and made a nice mess. Let me know what you think when all is said and done as I am sitting on my keg at this time as like I posted before it lost a lot of flavor and tastes pretty bad now. Not infected, just overly malted crap. Not sure where I screwed up as all the replies from the OP are after a 6 month rest so I am not sure if this is a normal outcome on the way to amazing that was missed due to bottling or if this is due to something else.

My current batch of this was the first beer I have kegged, and second time I have made this recipe. So far I have used Bry-97 both times which has a long lag phase and also needs a blowoff tube. I have changed up my hops both times also. The first time using 4 oz of cascade for a 20 minute boil and dry-hopped with an oz of citra and the second time using 4 oz Centennial with a 20 minute boil and dry hopped with 1/2 oz motueka, 1/2 oz sorachi ace and 1 oz of citra. Both batches have been awesome, and I plan to make this a house beer due to simplicity and the fact that I was drinking it in less than 3 weeks after force carbing it. It also made it to second round of bluebonnet competition with 70 entries.

This is now tried and true in my book. Simple, awesome and quick. The extra price for ingredients is worth the speed and time saved.

What has been the general primary fermentation time? I was going to go for three weeks, then bottle. I used Citra and Centennial in hopping this and will dry hop with an ounce of Citra. Hopefully it will give a nice floral and citrus aroma. Brewtoad shows this at 5.2 ABV and 40 IBU's which was what I was aiming at. With the lost hops after the boil over I hope it won't drop too much.

Opened my first one today. This is a really good Pale Ale. I will be making this again. Possibly applying the extra hops shorter boiling time theory to other beers.
3 weeks in the primary fermenter @ 62F. Dry hopped for the last 7 days. 3 weeks bottle conditioning.
Great Beer!

image-3068192973.jpg

Just made two batches this week. One all mosaic with c-20 and s-05 and one all centennial with c-40 and s-05. I love the simplicity of this recipe. Can't wait to try them.

making an all mosaic version of this tonight

1 lb 20L Crystal
3.3 lb Golden Light LME (20 min boil, start of boil)
1 oz Mosaic (AA 12.7, Beta 3.6) 20 min
3.3 lb Golden Light LME 10 min
1 oz Mosaic 5 min
1 0z Mosaic flameout

cant wait!

if this one turns out as well as I'm thinking, I'm going to do a mango version :)

I bottled this yesterday and boy did it taste great! Now I'm sitting on two cases of a mighty fine Pale Ale. I will definitely be making this one again. I'll post some pictures after a few weeks bottle conditioning and see if the taste has changed at all.

i halved this recipe, and thinking that it was for 6-gallons (don't know why), i went ahead and used 3-gallons of water in total. but i bottled this about a week ago and it's actually turning out really great so far! this was only my second batch of brew, but it is far better than the beer i made from an English Brown Kit.

Opened my first one today. This is a really good Pale Ale. I will be making this again. Possibly applying the extra hops shorter boiling time theory to other beers.
3 weeks in the primary fermenter @ 62F. Dry hopped for the last 7 days. 3 weeks bottle conditioning.
Great Beer!

Looks great!

With a kid on the way, I've been thinking of ways to shorten the time investment that brewing demands. This is just what the doctor ordered. I already know what hop-bursting can add to a beer flavor-wise, as my IPA recipe is almost entirely hopped in the final 15 minutes.

I'm definitely going to try brewing this, and might even try applying this concept to some of my other extract recipes.

Back