Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roeselare blend at 1.5 months:

M4gbpiN.jpg

Chocolate malt, small percentage of black malt mostly for color, and a bit of crystal 120 and 2-row base malt. Only hops added were 1oz of whole cone cascade at 60 minutes (60 minute boil time). Mash temp was 150. I wasn't looking to up the mash temp much, plenty of long-chain sugars present from the dark malts...although this is my 1st sour stout so we will find out.

I have had good luck making lambics and sour browns, being my first extremely dark sour I am using this as a beer to learn from for future brews.

Sour Stout (Tart Of Darkness clone - Roeselare Blend) at about 3 months. Ugly pelicle. Not the best pics. I need to learn from you guys.

rSDuBwm.jpg

aJmy8HQ.jpg

Jringo said:
Chocolate malt, small percentage of black malt mostly for color, and a bit of crystal 120 and 2-row base malt. Only hops added were 1oz of whole cone cascade at 60 minutes (60 minute boil time). Mash temp was 150. I wasn't looking to up the mash temp much, plenty of long-chain sugars present from the dark malts...although this is my 1st sour stout so we will find out.

I have had good luck making lambics and sour browns, being my first extremely dark sour I am using this as a beer to learn from for future brews.

No roasted barley is a good start, but then maybe it's a sour porter without it, fuzzy distinction for most.

No roasted barley is a good start, but then maybe it's a sour porter without it, fuzzy distinction for most.

I hear ya. I felt like this recipe design has a chance to do really well, but I know it could come out completely different than what I envision. Shoot I guess I'll have to brew more sour stouts to get this figured out...darn

Jringo said:
I hear ya. I felt like this recipe design has a chance to do really well, but I know it could come out completely different than what I envision. Shoot I guess I'll have to brew more sour stouts to get this figured out...darn

I've got one going now, fermented with wyeast 3942 'Belgian wheat' which supposedly de Dolle strain. Not bug sour, but added a bunch of wild blackberries which are very tart and Brett Brux. I think it can handle it, hope I'm right. Probably taking first sample tomorrow, about 6 weeks in. If grav has dropped to 1.006 or so I'm bottling.

I ended up with a couple of extra gallons of my Belgian Pale Ale wort, so I decided to experiment. I pitched one gallon with dregs from a bottle of Russian River Supplication and another gallon with dregs from Consecration. I'll post pics as soon as I have something worth posting!

I racked into a secondary and got a new, different-looking pellicle three days later. Is that normal? See previous page if you wanna peep the first one.

IMG_3708.jpg

TANSTAAFB said:
How long has it been going nowhere? And by going nowhere you mean....

I just mean the goop has been there a week. It's definitely very active. Only my third batch of cider and first Brett batch. Acting very different from my other two batches. Really cool to watch.

I just mean the goop has been there a week. It's definitely very active. Only my third batch of cider and first Brett batch. Acting very different from my other two batches. Really cool to watch.

Please keep us posted on this...I have been making Apfelwein w/ ale yeast for a couple of years but just started playing on the funky side of Homebrew St. and I have wondered what a Brett cider would taste like.

a while back i ask how to best use my brett B starter. in that thread i posted some pix of the underside of the pellicle, which looked kinda weird, but couldn't see the top because of the aluminum foil covering it. i finally got around to peeling back the foil and there was a pretty pellicle. i'm disappointed that i didn't take better pix but i was in a rush to get some of the brett into a carboy, top of the starter and get it sealed up again.

the starter smelled really funky, like stinky cheese (aka awesome).

brett-pellicle (1).jpg

brett-pellicle (2).jpg

I am about to start a Brett cider in a three gallon earthen crock. It's glazed ( non lead) and has a lid. My question is, will this be a viable option for primary with such a wide mouth?

image-1972288041.jpg

I am about to start a Brett cider in a three gallon earthen crock. It's glazed ( non lead) and has a lid. My question is, will this be a viable option for primary with such a wide mouth?

It has a lid it should be fine for a couple weeks of primary. My wine primary is a 12 gallon large plastic bucket with a non-air tight lid and it works quite well. Just don't open it a lot if you can help it. Some strains of brett can produce acetic acid if they have access to oxygen. But I wouldn't worry about it.

you could use saran-wrap (cling-wrap) to seal up your jar. that plastic wrap is almost perfectly impermeable, despite it's thinness.

you could not use your lid at all and just use the wrap to cover the opening. maybe use an elastic to further cinch down the wrap, along the outside edge.

or you could wrap some wrap around the opening between the lid and the jar.

During primary fermentation it is going to be expelling a lot of gas, you really don't have to worry much about anything getting in against the tide.

Cool. Thanks for the chime ins. Pretty much confirmed what I thought, but I like confirmation from those with experience. Now back to the sweet pellicle pics!

Same thing here. It gets exposed to so much oxygen while racking that it's trying to protect itself, meaning instant pellicle.

Well this is my first sour, so that's good to know. However, when I racked into the secondary I ended up with about 5 inches of headspace and I still have a couple inches of white glop on the bottom. Do you think I should rerack and add fruit, or would that be too much oxygen?

Well this is my first sour, so that's good to know. However, when I racked into the secondary I ended up with about 5 inches of headspace and I still have a couple inches of white glop on the bottom. Do you think I should rerack and add fruit, or would that be too much oxygen?

I rack my sours once at most, sometimes not at all. One of the main reasons you rack regular ales is to prevent autolysis (sp?) of the yeast, but that's not an issue with sours. When the bugs eat the dead yeast it doesn't add those meaty autolysis flavors, it just adds more sourness (or brett character, etc). Too much oxygen, on the other hand, can give you too much acetic acid, vinegar character.

I only have a few years experience brewing with bugs though, so I welcome other opinions or corrections.

Too much oxygen, on the other hand, can give you too much acetic acid, vinegar character.

Don't you think fermentation will drive off the oxygen and replace the headspace with CO2 for the most part? Just wondering, since my 6.5g carboy is filled almost halfway with my Sour Blonde... :)

105478d1362454189-sour-blonde-critique-image-961400124.jpg

I do agree, though, that if there was no oxygen present, the bugs wouldn't form the pellicle, since it's there to protect it from O2. At least that's what we're told!

Don't you think fermentation will drive off the oxygen and replace the headspace with CO2 for the most part? Just wondering, since my 6.5g carboy is filled almost halfway with my Sour Blonde... :)

105478d1362454189-sour-blonde-critique-image-961400124.jpg

I do agree, though, that if there was no oxygen present, the bugs wouldn't form the pellicle, since it's there to protect it from O2. At least that's what we're told!

Sexy pellicle, but that is a LOT of headspace, I'd purge with co2.

mcnewcp said:
I rack my sours once at most, sometimes not at all. One of the main reasons you rack regular ales is to prevent autolysis (sp?) of the yeast, but that's not an issue with sours. When the bugs eat the dead yeast it doesn't add those meaty autolysis flavors, it just adds more sourness (or brett character, etc). Too much oxygen, on the other hand, can give you too much acetic acid, vinegar character.

I only have a few years experience brewing with bugs though, so I welcome other opinions or corrections.

I've sampled several sour beers with notable autolysis character and personally think the whole 'bugs eat dead yeast' thing is either wrong or not entirely right.

I've sampled several sour beers with notable autolysis character and personally think the whole 'bugs eat dead yeast' thing is either wrong or not entirely right.

Like so many things in homebrewing some people like to repeat something they heard. I would say some styles of sours like Lambic, a single transfer or none is appropriate. A Flanders anything needs at least one if not two or three rackings in my opinion. if your beer is finished fermenting and you start having autolysis issues the fatty acids and acetylaldehyde will not be metabolized. I use heavy caramel malts in my Flanders and they finish at like 3 Plato. I could be wrong on the bacterial side of things but if the Brett is done it wont convert the acetylaldehyde to ethanol or other flavor neutral compounds. So leaving a Flanders on flocc'd out yeast is asking for Apple and other off flavors which wont be as noticeable because of the sourness.

Care to share the recipe?

50% 2-row, 50% flaked wheat
10 minute boil with just a few grams of Citra leaf hops
Add a mountain of raspberries (I used 10lbs in a 20L batch) at flameout and allow them to stand for 30 mins before chilling.
Wyeast 3191 berlinerweisse blend

I was unaware that 3191 had a brett strain in it, so I was caught off gaurd by this beautiful pellicle! Photo was accomplished by shining a fluorescent light through the side of the carboy and shooting down the neck.

Back