Glycol Trunk Line Chiller Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KBrew75

Reaction score
Hello.

I built a good size house a few years ago and I'm finally getting around to designing my beer delivery system. I've found tons of useful information but not much related to what I'm planning on doing.

I have a 3400 sq ft basement where I plan on storing my kegs. On the main floor, I plan on having my beer faucets. From the basement concrete floor to the hardwood on the main floor is 11'. I'll be pushing beer up about 15'. The distance from beer out to shank is about 20'.

I have a large chest freezer where I'll be storing my kegs. I plan on using Brewmaster II trunk line with glycol cooling.

I like my beer very cold. Just to the point of turning to slush but anything under 40F at the faucet would be fine. The basement stays around 60F in the winter and 70F in the summer.

I'm looking at glycol chillers but I'm a DIYer so I really want to make something myself. I've looked at modifying an Air Conditioner and dehumidifier to make a chiller. I also thought about using a second chest freezer to cool the glycol. I was even thinking about using a water tank inside the freezer where the kegs will reside but I'm not sure if if it will get the glycol cold enough to maintain a near freezing temperature at the faucet.

What does everyone here recommend?

Edit: What does your experience with moving beer up about 1 story say I should use for the line diameter? The Beer Line Length and Pressure Calculator (modified to use the psi loss amounts for Brewmaster II line) says I should be using 5/16" diameter line. 1/4" line shows the beer being too hot when using the correct psi. I'm calculating for 1 psi at the faucet for pour. I'd like to purchase some trunk line and start testing but I'm not sure if the 5/16" ID line is too large or not.

Back