Brew day help needed! Marshmallows!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crookshc

Reaction score
Hi all,

So at the request of SWMBO, I'm making a S'more beer. My plan was to throw marshmallows (yes marshmallows) in the boil. The mash is well under way, and I'm reading the ingredients of marshmallows and see fish gelatin...a fining. In half a dozen marshmallows to a 2.5 gal batch, will that be enough to drop the yeast when i pitch? Or will I be fine to let it ride?

Marshmallows are usually coated with corn starch so be prepared for a little haze. The gelatine won't be a problem in those amounts, but you're boiling it so it'll be destroyed anyway.

Awesome idea! We've got a local nano near me in Kennesaw GA (Burnt Hickory Brewing) that does a graham cracker stout. You could add cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg to get the graham cracker flavor as well I bet.

I decided to let it ride. By morning the airlock was bubbling along as normal! :rockin:

Marshmallows are usually coated with corn starch so be prepared for a little haze. The gelatine won't be a problem in those amounts, but you're boiling it so it'll be destroyed anyway.

There were two concerns of mine that you may have just alleviated. The first was the yeast falling out...doesn't appear that happened.

The other was the idea that when you make Jello, part of the process is boiling the Jello mixture that contains gelatin...apply here...beer jello. So for sake of theory, say I did boil more gelatin than is contained in the marshmallows I used. If it's not destroyed when making Jello, wouldn't it also not be destroyed in this instance?

Thanks for your input!

That marshmallow fluff that comes in jars doesn't have the cornstarch coating but I'm too late... I hope you toasted them over a campfire.

I decided to let it ride. By morning the airlock was bubbling along as normal! :rockin:

There were two concerns of mine that you may have just alleviated. The first was the yeast falling out...doesn't appear that happened.

The other was the idea that when you make Jello, part of the process is boiling the Jello mixture that contains gelatin...apply here...beer jello. So for sake of theory, say I did boil more gelatin than is contained in the marshmallows I used. If it's not destroyed when making Jello, wouldn't it also not be destroyed in this instance?

Thanks for your input!
The amount that you're using is so low that it isn't an issue, but for clarifying purposes, the gelatin should not be boiled.

Latest posts

Back