Thermometer Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickN

Reaction score
What do you guys recommend? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money but I don't want to get a dirt cheap one that I'll just want to replace in a month. Give me your thoughts please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you looking for a pen thermometer, dial thermometer, what? I definitely suggest going digital...they're faster and typically a lot more accurate. Stay away from floating thermometers...I haven't found one that's accurate.

I like CDN digital thermometers, personally. I've used them in my kitchen for years and they are fairly accurate, fast and haven't ever failed me. BobbyM/BrewHardware.com, from these forums, has a reasonably inexpensive model that will grow with you for years. Thermapens are widely regarded as the most accurate out there, but be prepared to spend some $$$ on them.

I'd like it mounted on the pot, in particular I want it for during the chilling phase so I don't have to keep putting a thermometer into the wort.

You can mount a bimetal or digital thermometer depending on what you prefer. I have Sabco and Miljoco bimetal therms that have 1/2" NPT threads that I've used for years. They're probably going to outlast any digital thermometer I would think. On the other hand, you can get a kit to allow you to mount the thinner probed digitals and then you can always take the thermometer out when not brewing to use it for other things.

Oh yeah, one other thing. If you're using propane there may be an issue with a plastic bodied thermometer too close to the flame source. Not as much of an issue with the bi-metals probably but Bobby M has a heat shield gizmo to help with that at brewhardware.

Thanks a bunch. I'm just getting into this hobby so I have a lot to learn.

jsguitar said:
It depends on what you need it for, like if you want to mount it in a pot or use it for spot checking. I've been using this cheap one by Taylor from Amazon for spot checking things and it's been great for the money
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009WE45/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00004XSC5&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0GEBXPD01F47B12NYPEJ

I'd like to get a thermapen though for it's speed, but they're pretty expensive.

I was thinking of getting one of those, how do you sanitize it? I see that it's waterproof, does that mean you can drop it in a bucket of sanitizer?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking of getting one of those, how do you sanitize it? I see that it's waterproof, does that mean you can drop it in a bucket of sanitizer?

I have one similar to that but mine isn't waterproof. I only sanitize the part I expect to put into the wort or beer. I never expect to drop it in so I don't sanitize the top.:cross:

Back