please help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meomnom

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing and this is my third brew, I'm making a cranberry pineapple wine. But airlock activity stopped on day 5, I took a hydrometer reading and the so.gr is at 1.080 should I add more yeast? Or just wait it out?

Never go by airlock activity. Take another reading in a few days to see if it is still going down before anything.that is a very acidic wine it will take some time

Never go by airlock activity. Take another reading in a few days to see if it is still going down before anything.that is a very acidic wine it will take some time

nghtmre4u is right, give this some time and chek the gravity in about 3 days. If it is still not going down, then let's look into re-starting the must.

Thanks guys, I'll wait a few days and keep you posted. I knew not to go by airlock activity, but it was very ominous:/ seeing that the wine is still and there's no activity at all! So thanks:)

At 1080 there should be a lot of airlock activity. If it was bubbling and stopped on day five with a 1080 reading you may be stuck. Mike

Unfortunately, I never took a hydrometer reading at the start. Never skipping that step again! But I used standard pineapple juice and cranberry cocktail with pearjuice. Im making about 4 gallons total and I added 8 cups of sugar (two cups per juice container) the airlock stopped bubbling and the I took my first reading 2 days after that. A quick note: I have blueberry wine fermenting at the as well! It's on day 6 with plenty of airlock activity!! And that's about 3 gallons. So should I restart the fermentation process by prepping my yeast and adding it the next day? Or should I just wait another couple of days and base my decision of the next hydrometer reading? Because if it has dropped from the 1.080 I'm going to let it slowly ferment until I reach 1.000 or lower:)

meomnom said:
Thanks guys, I'll wait a few days and keep you posted. I knew not to go by airlock activity, but it was very ominous:/ seeing that the wine is still and there's no activity at all! So thanks:)

Have you taken a reading today?

Not yet I will in a couple of hours though. I'm building Corker at the moment:)

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer said:
Are you sure you got a good seal on the airlock and plenty of fluid in the airlock? Mike

Yup! That was actually the main thing I focused on! I hot glue my airlocks to the caps and then when I twist the cap on, I duck tape the seams so no air will get in! And I use a mixture of distilled water and rubbing alcohol for the water line. (keeps fruit flies away) but for my f gallon bucket I just drilled a small hole, slowly forces my airlock through, and then I hotglued the hell out of the where the base of the airlock and bucket met!! Lol!

Okay! So it is steady at 1.080:/ I'm going to restart the fermentation process!

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer said:
Any activity today? Mike

After I added active yeast, there's no "bubbling" but there is condensation on the inside of the airlock tube! So my hopes are high. Abd thank you mike.

Back