Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brisket!

image-3748674765.jpg

Had my annual get together for siblings and cousins yesterday. Did up 2 butts with a mustard slather and rub. The bark on it is fantastic.

Also about 40 abt's for an app. I still find it amazing how quickly 20 adults can make those disappear.

oh man! let us know how it turns out.

I have a picnic cushion hanging in the deep freeze as well. It's only been there a few months. Thinking about smoking it this week.

It was a bit on the dry side, but the flavor and texture were ok. Not as good as one of the butts we usually do, but we were pleased with how it came out after the time in the freezer. After adding some vinegar sauce, the dryness issue all but disappeared.

Just pulled 2 venison back straps off. Did them with cherry wood and head country dry rub. They are awesome but now I have to wait till October 1st to get more.

Gonna be doing some ribs and abt's this weekend. Might do some wings as well

Just rubbed 2 boneless 7 lb. pork butts this afternoon. I am going to smoke them tomorrow for a get together on Saturday with old law school friends who will be in town. I also brewed 10 gallons of BM's Centennial Blonde and am currently carbonating half of the 10 gallon batch for the get together. It's going to be a good couple of days.

Think I might do a pork butt rubbed with an adobo blend and then ... dunno. Maybe adobo carnitas tacos?

image-2748451631.jpg

Just smoked some ribs today. Did one with a dry rub that say over night and then put brown sugar all over it and smoked it for 6 hours. Came out amazing

A couple of weekends ago I got together with my brother-in-law, and we ended up smokin' and grillin' all manner of things. ABT's, bacon stuffed cabbage, brisket, etc. Good times, but the best was Hamburger Smoke Rings...:ban:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm smoking quite a bit this weekend. Will be starting tonight with 2 butts for a friends block party tomorrow. Sunday morning I'll be bringing the smoker down to Yards Brewing Company for their amateur BBQ comp and Smoked Beer Festival. Plan to make around 120 "Moink Sliders" stuffed with Blue Cheese, and about the same in ABT's, along with some salt potatoes. Should be a good turnout. I'll try to remember pics...

Tackling my first packer brisket. I've done plenty of flats, but this is my first big 13 pounder. Wish me luck.

JonM said:
Tackling my first packer brisket. I've done plenty of flats, but this is my first big 13 pounder. Wish me luck.

As long as you take your time you will be fine.

I'm smoking quite a bit this weekend. Will be starting tonight with 2 butts for a friends block party tomorrow. Sunday morning I'll be bringing the smoker down to Yards Brewing Company for their amateur BBQ comp and Smoked Beer Festival. Plan to make around 120 "Moink Sliders" stuffed with Blue Cheese, and about the same in ABT's, along with some salt potatoes. Should be a good turnout. I'll try to remember pics...

Only managed to remember one pic of the smoker loaded for the comp.

2012-09-23_09-16-39_476.jpg

But I did manage to bring this home with me as well:

2012-09-25_18-15-30_419.jpg

Along with a couple cases of beer, shome shirts, and a few pint glasses. Kicked all my food in 40 min, with a long line outside my tent area. I was happy.

Only managed to remember one pic of the smoker loaded for the comp.

2012-09-23_09-16-39_476.jpg

But I did manage to bring this home with me as well:

2012-09-25_18-15-30_419.jpg

Along with a couple cases of beer, shome shirts, and a few pint glasses. Kicked all my food in 40 min, with a long line outside my tent area. I was happy.

I meant to ask you how you did, but have been busy and it slipped my mind. Congrats! I wish I could have made it up.

Started @ 5am this morning. It's a 'test run' of 10 briskets for the company picnic next month and we've sold them to employees for charity. And we might have snuck in a prime rib roast for lunch :)

I'll post some completed pics this evening.

2012-09-28_07-59-22_293.jpg

2012-09-28_07-59-34_511.jpg

^wow

I've been wanting to do prime rib for a while now. Too nervous to put that spendy cut on the grill though.

Anyone have tips/philosophy for cooking prime rib?

Oktoberfest is this weekend. we'll have 80 pounds of assorted brats, 4 chickens on the charcoal rotisserie, a packer brisket and 3 butt roasts on the smoker. And I have 40 gallons of homebrew,

I am smoking flank steak, chicken breasts, chicken kebobs, mushrooms, jalepenos, herbs, beer grains and I'll probably knock out a whole chicken before the day is out.

I smoked a handful of yardbird thighs. Used a chunk of cherry, and famous dave's rib rub. I completely screwed it up by saucing with a brand that I *used to * like. It used to have some zing, a little vinegar-y. Now, it's sweet and... Gross. I didn't even think to taste it before I used it. I just took it for granted that it would taste the same. The smoke went well, let the kettle breathe so it would run well over 300 to get that crispy skin. Got the crispy skin I was looking for. REALLY need to start just using SBR as a base and come up with a few variations to doctor it up.

First off, nice rig Moboy. I was looking at one of those or a superior. I really dig gravity feed rigs.

Yesterday cooked up some wings APL style with a bunch of fresh jalapenos in the sauce. Instead of cooking em in a pan first I laid em out to cook dry on the grate. The goal was to make em painful and well... they sure were! Paying the price today though.

11lb pork butt on Hickory right now. BBQ'n in the dark. 75degrees at 7pm. Makes me think it's 11pm in August once again.

Put on a butt this morning at 6:30am. Hoping all is well and will be done for the MSU vs. Alabama game! #webelieve (sorry had to do it)

This is my third time to smoke. First 2 times were rib racks, first time for a butt. Hope I'm doing it right lol

I figured 1.5 hours per pound. This was 8.02lb but it still had a nice slab of fat on it and I trimmed some, not all of it. So I'm sitting at 7.75 or a little more a pound and gonna shoot for 190 when I take a temp reading. Flipped every 3-4 hours and spray with apple cider vinegar/ apple juice mix about every 2 hours.

When I figured cook time, I did it for 8 because I wanted to have extra time just in case. Been sitting at a nice 225 - 230 degrees the whole time.

Should I be ok?

i usually put my pork butts on the night before.

8 hours would be very fast - I am not sure you could reach your desired temp with a smoker temp of 225 in that time.

I'm central time. So it has been on for 10 hours so far. And I have 3-4 hours to spare. Still not goin to reach it?

Please let me know. I did plan this ahead and did the math :( just hope it will be ok.

Back