Maple Syrup for priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoWheeler

Reaction score
I am fortunate enough to have a large sugar maple right at the end of my driveway.

Most springs, I can get enough sap for a half gallon of syrup and one five gallon batch of maple barleywine.

Last year, when I racked to the Corny keg (after several months in secondary) apparently it took off again, because when I went to hook it up to C02 to force carb (after a couple months in tertiary), it was nicely cask conditioned without me having to force carb it. It was much tastier that way.

Between that experience and recently having had Dogfish 75 Minute IPA, I was thinking about priming this year's batch with syrup.

After all that above, my question is "how do I figure out how much syrup to use"? Get a refractometer reading on my syrup and then convert that somehow to equal 3/4 cup corn sugar?

There are several online priming calculators that allow you to select maple syrup as your priming sugar. I'm on my phone art the moment, but google "priming calculator" and scroll through them until you find one that allows you to select MS as your primer.

Back