3711 Temperature control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrummerBoySeth

Reaction score
I am planning to brew a saison/wit very soon, and was considering using Wyeast 3711. Originally, I had planned on using 3724 due to the high temperature tolerance, but it seems to have a repuatation for stalling at 1.035 or so...

I know that saison yeasts are generally considered to be high-temperature yeast strains, but the max recommended temp on 3711 is 77 (I think, don't quote me on that exact number!)

I was wondering if anyone has any experience fermenting with 3711 at the higher or lower ends of the recommended temperature range. I would like to maintain some of the inhernt "funkiness" of the yeast, so I will probably lean toward the warmer side of the range, but I do not want fusels and I do not want to have to bottle condition for 2 months to get good beer.

Any experience or recommendations on this yeast and it's temperature characteristics are greatly appreciated.

I have used that yeast well into the 80s after an initial fermentation in the low 70s. It does accentuate some of the more interesting phenols associated with that yeast. I would recommend doing a blend of 3724 and 3711 in the same batch. I've liked the beers I've brewed with those together better than either separately.

I have used that yeast well into the 80s after an initial fermentation in the low 70s. It does accentuate some of the more interesting phenols associated with that yeast. I would recommend doing a blend of 3724 and 3711 in the same batch. I've liked the beers I've brewed with those together better than either separately.

I am assuming that you start with 3724 and finish with 3711?

I am assuming that you start with 3724 and finish with 3711?

Nope, I pitched two smack packs into a five gallon batch and let it ferment in a temperature controlled chamber at 72F. After the initial growth phase, I took the beer upstairs to experience the natural highs and lows of Wyoming (getting up to 86F and down to 72F). I do this to stress the yeast in hopes of creating more esters. At TG, I harvest the yeast and can get about three subsequent batches of saisons for the year. I try to brew saisons which are inspired by the seasons and compliment seasonal meals.

Back