cream ale without lactose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuriedCastle

Reaction score
one of my eqrliest brewing attempts was a caramel creqm ale found on hbt. i want to go for it again, this time using the all grain instead ofnextract version but also looking for an alternative to lactose. how can i get thw creamy effect but still be ok for a friend who won't touch anything dairy? i asked my lhbs about carapils and they said it would do body but not get creamy.

so, a lactose free cream ale for a lactose intolerant drinker?

thanks

I tend to think lactose dosent make it creamy anyway, more slick like kinda like oats.
Did you find yours creamy?

I'm assuming you are referring to a cream stout, not cream ale. As far as I know, there is nothing out there. I've hear aspartame can also give it a "milky" consistency, not sure if that is true though.

Hm, I guess "creamy" can mean different things to different people! I recently made an amber with lactose, and I really enjoy it. I guess the "cream" for me is more of a mouthfeel than a flavor, but it is such a heavy mouthfeel that there is indeed some flavor component there that is reminiscent of a milky cream.

Anyway, maybe this thread will be of some help: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/what-makes-cream-ale-cream-ale-7789/index2.html

I've never used lactose, being somewhat intolerant of the stuff myself but I made a cream ale using oatmeal as a mouthfeel/head retainer and it turned out to be one of my favorite brews, gone way too soon. I have another batch fermenting now. The downside to using oatmeal is clarity, as in 'there is no clarity" and the beer was always a bit cloudy. Put it in a ceramic stein and you'll never know.

Jamil talked about some lactose alternative in his milk stout show on the bn. Cant remember what it was but it was an interesting show and only an hour.

go over to the recipe section and look up the 'cream of three crops' ale.

should be just what you need.

and, it's a really good brew. i'm bottling one today.

btw... cream ale has nothing to do with actual product from a cow.

Cream ales typically get their creaminess from the use of corn as an adjunct. You're thinking about Cheezy's caramel ale, although he calls it a cream ale, it really isn't one. It's a god knows what, but it's not technically a cream ale.....you could however try a corn adjunct such as flaked corn instead of lactose.

Back