does dry hopping add flavor or body to beer? or only aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boss429

Reaction score
Ok so I have read that dry hopping only adds aroma is this true?

It just dosent convince me that it dosent affect flavor.

so yea does dry hopping add flavor or that oily body like in the beers such as pliny the elder and dugana IPA?

thanks to all replys in advance!

aroma, thats all. If any flavor only the slightest...where do you get "oily" from? (just curious I havnt had pliny or dugana)

aroma = perceived flavor

I don't remember the exact number, but a VERY large percentage of what we perceive as flavor is actually arom.

The term I've heard people use is resiny I think

Its the resiny viscous oily body you find in double IPA's I'm just wondering if dry hops contribute to that at all.

I dont get to brew much so I probably wont get a chance to test it anytime soon but lets say..

I brew 5 gallons of highly attenuated beer with only a bittering addition(70IBU) and maybe a 30 minute addition(10 ibu).

I then dry hop with like 8 ounces of columbus or for the sake of the example 12 ounces wtvr a huge amount.

The question is would I get a viscous, oily, resiny body? Has anyone tested this?

I then dry hop with like 8 ounces of columbus or for the sake of the example 12 ounces wtvr a huge amount.

The question is would I get a viscous, oily, resiny body? Has anyone tested this?

Depends. With enough time and a big enough addition, I imagine that the hops would eventually break down enough to leave a decent amount of residue behind, such that you could feel it and taste it while drinking. But at that point it would be hard to call what you were doing "dry hopping" anymore. The entire point to dry hopping is that you aren't trying to break the hops down and absorb them into the beer, you're just putting enough hops in during bulk aging that, after a week or so, their aroma is infused into the beer. Either way, I can almost assure you that no one around here has tested a 12 ounce dry hop! I would imagine that the aroma of the beer would be so pungent and overpowering that you could literally taste nothing else.

okay I will take your opinion into consideration. if I dont get any convincing expieriences with this answer I will test it next season( or once I decide to buy from hopsdirect again) by buying a pound of columbus and dry hopping it in a 5 gallon batch and I will post results.

Latest posts

Back