Digital therm. type k question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received that exact same thermometer. I haven't used it for brewing yet. When I do I will be using the probes inside a thermowell.

http://www.brewershardware.com/Thermowells/

I would not immerse the thermoprobe in water or mash.

Nice...Thanks for the info..seems to me that the straight walled ones would be more suitable for our application..plus they are much more reasonable:rockin:

I have a 16" straight wall thermowell placed down the center of lid to my mash tun.

It the picture below, you can just see a dial thermometer in the center of the lid of the Gott cooler

Brewstand_to_Kettle.JPG

That was replaced with the BrewersHardware.com straight wall thermowell.

I also have a thermowell in a fitting I had made by BargainFittings.com so I can monitor the outlet temps of my wort chiller.

NewToys3.JPG

I hope to be able to brew this coming weekend. I'll try to post a report about my new thermometer and how it works in my rig.

Nice looking setup you have there..I'll prolly get the 16" as well..Thanks for the great info.I will be looking forward to a report after you use it...:mug:

I finally got a chance to brew today. I made a "Tribute" to Pliny The Elder. A bit lower in gravity and not quite as much bittering hops.

The digital thermometer worked perfectly.

DM6802Ba.jpg

I used the thermocouple inside the thermowells and temperature were displayed very accurately. The digital thermo agreed with my dial thermometers on my HLT and kettle. The dual inputs are not really needed for my rig. I use the digital to monitor the temps inside my mash tun and then at the end of the brew to monitor the temperature of the wort going into the fermenter.

All in all a worthwhile investment.

Awesome...Glad that it worked so well for you.Thanks for the review,I must order one now:mug:

Do you use any type of thermal compound in your thermowells or do you just slide the sensor into the well? A compound will give you more accurate readings, but is sometimes unnecessary if your thermowell is tight enough for good conductivity of temperature.

Just something to think of.

Your brewing rig looks great by the way.

Salute!

Do you use any type of thermal compound in your thermowells or do you just slide the sensor into the well? A compound will give you more accurate readings, but is sometimes unnecessary if your thermowell is tight enough for good conductivity of temperature.

Just something to think of.

Your brewing rig looks great by the way.

Salute!

The probes are temporary. They are not for permanent mounting. I just slide the probe into the well and leave it for 10 minutes or so to get a reading. For mash temps, that is all I need. Just confirmation I hit the temp I want.

Thanks for the compliment on the rig. Just brewing up 10 gallons of Blonde Ale today. The brew day went smooth as can be.

For cooling, again I don't need instant accuracy. I have been involved with circuit board level electronic design and repair for over 30 years. I do my best to avoid smearing thermal compound about without need. If it was a permanent installation, I would use some.

Back