Bacteria and Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

Is it possible that dried Yeast carries Bacteria into the Beer and the Beer has a Vinegar smell at the end ?!

Hector

Hi there !

Is it possible that dried Yeast carries Bacteria into the Beer and the Beer has a Vinegar smell at the end ?!

Hector

The only way that would be possible is if the manufacturer had a serious lapse in production quality control.

Any bacteria that gets into beer is almost assuredly due to a lapse in sanitation on the brewers part.

The only way that would be possible is if the manufacturer had a serious lapse in production quality control.

Any bacteria that gets into beer is almost assuredly due to a lapse in sanitation on the brewers part.

I used Bread Yeast and that is in a 500 Gramm Pack . After each use , I keep the Pack in a freezer bag

which is tightly closed and keep it in Refrigerator .

Although I sanitized everything carefully with Iodophor , my last batch came out with a vinegar smell and it tasted very sour .

I'd like to know if it was the Yeast's fault .

Hector

....my last batch came out with a vinegar smell and it tasted very sour .

I'd like to know if it was the Yeast's fault .

Hector

Well, technically it's your fault for using bread yeast!!! :D

Dude, get yourself some real beer yeast from a homebrew store or online. The dry stuff can be as cheap as $1-2. I guarantee you will not make good beer with bread yeast

The vinegar smell probably came from some vinegar in your brew - vinegar is ethanoic (or acetic) acid. Basically alcohol - or ethanol - gets oxidised to produce ethanoic acid. This is what happens when you leave wine in the bottle overnight and in the morning it tastes bad - it has turned to vinegar - "vin aigre" meaning sour wine in French.

Is it possible that the seal on your fermenter is not airtight enough, or are you perhaps leaving the brew open to the air for any long periods? Could be that.

Well, technically it's your fault for using bread yeast!!! :D

Dude, get yourself some real beer yeast from a homebrew store or online. The dry stuff can be as cheap as $1-2. I guarantee you will not make good beer with bread yeast

I've read a lot of threads in different Forums written by brewers who used

bread yeast and none of them had anything against it .

On the other hand , I should say that bread yeast is the only yeast available here to buy in Stores .

Hector

Ya...get yourself some beer yeast (ale) and you will see a world of difference :) I recommend US-05/04 or nottingham....but even muntons is better the bread yeast :) Also be sure your airlock is on correctly and stay out of your fermentor...to much oxygen will turn the alcohol to vinegar...

Ya...get yourself some beer yeast (ale) and you will see a world of difference :) I recommend US-05/04 or nottingham....but even muntons is better the bread yeast :) Also be sure your airlock is on correctly and stay out of your fermentor...to much oxygen will turn the alcohol to vinegar...

Please read my answer to Reno_eNVy_446

Hector

Hector, where are you?

I'd probably lay bets that he's not in the United States, and might have some issues getting a good yeast.

Latest posts

Back