False bottom on mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
Is this commonly done? After brewing today and the SS braid getting stuck, again, I was thinking about a false bottom. But, reading more about them I see they are commonly used on the boil kettle. I don't need one there because we use a hop bag. Would one on a mash tun work with the grains sitting on top of the false bottom and a dip tube going in the middle to drain the wort?

Is this commonly done? After brewing today and the SS braid getting stuck, again, I was thinking about a false bottom. But, reading more about them I see they are commonly used on the boil kettle. I don't need one there because we use a hop bag. Would one on a mash tun work with the grains sitting on top of the false bottom and a dip tube going in the middle to drain the wort?

False bottoms are used very extensively in mash tuns. They are excellent...

What happens though when you make a recipe such as a pumpkin recipe that calls for mashing with puree of pumpkin? Even if you use rice hulls, won't the pumpkin sink to the bottom of the keg, while the rice hulls stay suspended above the false bottom and then create a stuck sparge? In this case, would the SS braid be a better option?

What happens though when you make a recipe such as a pumpkin recipe that calls for mashing with puree of pumpkin? Even if you use rice hulls, won't the pumpkin sink to the bottom of the keg, while the rice hulls stay suspended above the false bottom and then create a stuck sparge? In this case, would the SS braid be a better option?

Dunno.....

When mashing with pumpkin, in the mash tun, you'd also have grains, right? When i did my pumpkin ale the puree mostly stuck to the grains and i didn't have a problem.....BUT, i did line the whole tun with a large muslin bag just as a precaution. It worked out really well.

Also, boil kettle is where i put my braid, an inch or so above the bottom to filter out the hop matter.

Mashing pumpkin is a good way to get a stuck mash / sparge. I always mash pumpkin but it will be slow and lots of rice hulls. If it gets stuck, oh well I deserved it for mashing pumpkin and just deal with it.

I use a manifold and pump and think I’ve had 1 or 2 stuck mash in maybe 5 pumpkin ales. I just blow back through the hose and mix like hell and try again slower. I’ve also had luck with cutting slots through the thick mash with a paddle.

I use a false bottom and make a pumpkin beer every other year with no stuck sparges. I don't use rice hulls either. Usually do a higher mash temp with a slightly thinner mash and fly sparge with 180 degree water.

Back