Rice Hulls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
What ingredient is it that would require you to add rice hulls to the mash...Wheat malt, Flaked wheat, ect???

How many rice hulls would one use in a recipe that calls for 4.5 pounds of flaked wheat? My MLT has a copper manifold rather than a steel braid. Does that make any difference?

How many rice hulls would one use in a recipe that calls for 4.5 pounds of flaked wheat? My MLT has a copper manifold rather than a steel braid. Does that make any difference?

I usually put in about a half pound (which is more than you might think - rice hulls weight nothing). I don't actually weigh it - I buy it in 1 lb packages and then put about half of it in. FWIW.

Anytime I brew a recipe that has a good amount of wheat or anything that will turn to mush like oatmeal,pumpkin and the like I throw a couple of hand fulls in. I also presoak them in hot water they soak up a lot of water and I would rather it be water and not the wort.

ok, thanks.....Can you soak them, then throw them in when your done mashing, stir, then drain......That way the rice hulls don't mess with your mash temp at all.....

I was told that the rice hulls are supposed to go into the MLT first. That way, they create a "wet blanket" over your manifold which in turn creates a filter effect while draining the wort. I only used rice hulls once and thats what I did and it worked fine for my Hefe.

I was told that the rice hulls are supposed to go into the MLT first. That way, they create a "wet blanket" over your manifold which in turn creates a filter effect while draining the wort. I only used rice hulls once and thats what I did and it worked fine for my Hefe.

For those of us who batch sparge, we stir the hell out of the mash before each sparge, so wouldn't that negate the benefit of the rice hulls by stirring them into the mash?

No, it doesn't negate their effect. I don't know if I really have an explanation but they have worked for me and I'm sure for other batch spargers.

You do need some stirred into the mash, when I do my oatmeal stout (a ton of oatmeal) I've had issues where there will be a layer of oatmeal-concrete in between the top of the tun and the manifold. If I'd mixed my rice hulls in better then the wort would have a way to make it's way down to the manifold (stainless braid)

I'm brewing the BYO American Brown recipe tomorrow....It has 14 oz. of wheat malt in it....Should I use any rice hulls???

To bring this up again, I could just rinse the rice hulls, throw them in as I'm heating up my strike water, then I would not have to worry about the amount of water they would absorb, or affecting the strike temp. that I have figured for my grain weight....

Back