Hops: $19.99 a pound w/ free shipping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smashed4

Reaction score
OK, topic sounds like an advertisement but it's not.

There's a guy selling hops by the pound like crazy currently on ebay. I purchased a pound of German Magnum 15% a few months ago and I'm drinking a Magnum bitter right now made with it!

He just lowered the prices to a point that seems to me like a very great deal for a homebrewer wanting to stock up.. I got a few pounds for myself already, so I though some ppl here might be interested also..

Check it out.. the seller name is 'eurohop'

I have one negative comment though: All his item location says Saaz, Czech Republic, but the package comes from St-Petersburg, Russia.. Weird.. The hops are amazing though, so I guess it's alright..?

Cheers

Sweet action! Don't ask don't tell, as long as you're getting good hops :D

Whole or pellet? both? How is the packaging? Vacuum sealed?

good questions..

All I saw was 2008 pellet hops.. Most are high alphas variety, which are not my favorites, but still, it is a good deal, and we all need bittering hops don't we? heh

Packaging is bad, just hops tossed in a heavy ziplock bag and extra wrapped with a lot of plastic wrapping, all put in a small nifty cardboard box wrapped with extra packaging tape.. Vacuum sealing would be much better. We are left to wonder how this hop was stored since harvest and etc.. I'll ask the seller and add to this thread if I get any interesting info..

Even with all that plastic wrapping, the box still had a very strong hop smell as I received it! I hope the Styrian, Columbus and NB will be in the same awesome shape as my Magnum's..

Here's a direct link to the goodness for you lazy fellows..

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/eurohop

hmmm, what does an all magnum beer taste like?

I just kegged two wheat batches that are all Magnum. Very nice. The esters and fruit (one is lemon, the other blueberry) come through very clear.

Magnum is pretty much for bittering only.

I also kegged a Vienna Ale that was bittered with Magnum and the aroma hops were Saaz. Even though it was just kegged, it is GOOD. A couple of weeks in the kegerator and that one will ROCK!

Those were my first batches made with Magnum. Now, I am about to order a pound.

:rockin:

Call me silly, but paying a couple more dollars to get them here in the USA (and chances are fresher) seems to appeal to me a little more. *Hint*NikoBrew*Hint*

Im sure this guy on Ebay has a decent product, but coming from Russia makes me a bit nervous. (Customs hassles and such)
-Me

You are absolutely right about buying locally. Here in Montreal, the savings are substantial though, but I won't make it a habit and will continue to support my LHBS.

It is very weird indeed to receive an American variety from Russia when you think about it. Most of the stuff he has is european hops though, so I figure if you want them they have to be imported by someone anyway.. why not yourself then.

hmmm, what does an all magnum beer taste like?

I used magnum's @ 60 and @ 15 minutes, and finished with Goldings.

Calculated the IBU's at around 70, but the bitterness is very clean and still very palatable, somewhat it doesn't seem that bitter.. Might be all those IPA's numbing my palate though.

German Magnum's are $18.50 at hopsdirect, $24 for the US variety.

I know that Magnum is a clean bittering hop, I was wondering if anyone used it as an aroma flavor and what it gave really.

Thanks for the heads up on hopsdirect pricings... I realize you guys in the US have far more online sources than here.. Shipping costs to canada often screws up any potential savings..

What's great about those 19.99/# deal is obviously the free shipping... Luckily I had no customs to pay whatsoever here.. YMMV..

Regarding the Magnum's aroma : I believe any hops can be used as aroma, but for me magnum is neither particularly interesting nor bad either..

I did a dry hop experiment with a 60L english bitter batch (~15 gallons) that I seperated in three kegs:

1 keg with 1oz Magnums
1 keg with 1oz Amarillos
1 keg with no dry hopping

I used Amarillos and Magnums simply because that's what I had on hand.. I much preferred the amarillos batch.. The one with the magnum was also pleasant, but not as flowery/perfumy.. The magnum's aroma seemed to be more spicy and herbal..

Latest posts

Back