corona recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
spring and summer are coming quick, anyone got a good corona clone recipe?

Drive to your local beer store. Select Corona from the fridge. Bring Corona to cashier. Pay for Corona. Transport Corona back home. Drink Corona.

Well if/when you do it dont forget to skunk it. Im not saying this to be a dick about corona but if you want it to taste the same then you must skunk it.

Well I could see these comments coming and certainly enjoy reading them.

I am sad that you are trying to brew a corona, hopefully your just making it for your friends, so they don't drink your good beer though.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but at least you didn't ask how to make a bud light.

i love how the members here feel like there to good for corona. sometimes its better to just enjoy the simple things

Actually, I happen to really like Corona, but I like Sol better. No harm in asking. The thread referred to above has some good info in it, check it out. And, good luck. A beer that light is really difficult to replicate.

It's an exceedingly hard style to make as well and if some of the previous posters tried to make it they might sing a different tune.

The Jamil podcast on the style has some great information and would be where I would start.

The Jamil Show - American Lagers

I didn't say anything about the difficulty... Any off flavors are going to shine right through and attenuation needs to be really high. I just said that making Corona is a waste of time as it is about the same cost to just buy it (I think, I'm not sure what it costs).

It's an exceedingly hard style to make as well and if some of the previous posters tried to make it they might sing a different tune.

The Jamil podcast on the style has some great information and would be where I would start.

The Jamil Show - American Lagers

Oh I agree that it would be very hard to replicate this beer. I was just coming from a couple of different angles, I have had plenty of Coronas before and thought there may be a better option. As others have pointed out too, it is a fairly cheap bear, at least in Cali where there are a lot of drinkers of Corona. You can usually get the 24 pack for around $18-$19 if you look for a sale. I am sure it is a simple grain bill and possibly cheap as an all grain depending on the yeast and needs a large starter I am guessing.

I didn't say anything about the difficulty... Any off flavors are going to shine right through and attenuation needs to be really high. I just said that making Corona is a waste of time as it is about the same cost to just buy it (I think, I'm not sure what it costs).

Well, cost is a piss-poor argument for any homebrewing. Especially when you factor in time costs.

Light pilsener lagers are a ***** to brew. I've done a bunch and none have been 100% of what I wanted. Try brewing a couple and you'll discover some respect for the yuppie Corona.

However, buying a case of beer isn't what the OP wanted. He wanted info on recipes.

I don't brew because it's cheap. I brew because it is challenging to try to replicate what the big boys do or make something entirely different.

If I wanted to save money I wouldn't be homebrewing, that's for sure.

I was trying to be serious. I personaly do not like corona but im not knocking it. I will drink miller lite quite a bit especially in the summer so i wouldnt talk **** about corona. I was trying to help. I have seen a munch of mexican beer recipes but they wont taste like corona because they are not skunked. Corona intentially puts it in clear bottles and I was told by a local distributor that the ones they can the beer is passed through UV light just to give it that special corona taste.

Trying to put this all in perspective:

A couple folks out there remember long ago when all you could get as a weee Lad was Bud, Falstaff, and all other yellow crap. Lo and behold! Home Brewers came around and are brewing some damn fine stuff + many micro-breweries are abound.

The point? Some folks out there are having a huge "flashback" to the days of yore. Man, that was some dreadful time, and sad to see such crappy beer is still around.

Okay, enough verbage spewage, give the guy a proper lager recipe (IF, one exists!)

ale, Ale, ALE!!

I was trying to be serious. I personaly do not like corona but im not knocking it. I will drink miller lite quite a bit especially in the summer so i wouldnt talk **** about corona. I was trying to help. I have seen a munch of mexican beer recipes but they wont taste like corona because they are not skunked. Corona intentially puts it in clear bottles and I was told by a local distributor that the ones they can the beer is passed through UV light just to give it that special corona taste.

Pretty certain that skunking bit is an old brewing myth. Corona claims to use hop extracts that are supposedly skunk resistant, and if you've ever drank one out of a boxed case, there isn't even a hint of skunking. The open six-packs that have been sitting under the florescent lights at the 7-11 for a month? Oh yeah. Nasty.

Not even closr in price a 24 costs more than 54.00 plus taxes i made a corona style 67 bottles for about 35.00 so tell us again it costs the same.

Not even closr in price a 24 costs more than 54.00 plus taxes i made a corona style 67 bottles for about 35.00 so tell us again it costs the same.

OK, but what did it cost in 2009?
He’s posting from Canada, so $54 Canadian is like 1980’s Corona prices.

Nothing like a good thread resurrection. :mug:

Back