dry yeast clumps??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comj49

Reaction score
I brewed a brown ale that used Nottingham yeast and after 2 weeks in the primary it still had small white-ish clumps floating around in the beer, i assumed krausen. When i racked to the bottling bucket i had to use a strainer, which was a PITA. Now i have an irish red in primary and it is developing the same problem, this time with safeale us-04. After 7 days some of the krausen is falling. but not alot, and it is developing the clumps that are just floating up and down in the beer. Is it the yeast, or am i doing something wrong. My previous beers have all used liquid yeast, so Notty and safeale are new to me, so this might be normal, i dont know?

It would be depend on how you pitch. Do you just dump the yeast on top of the wort or do you rehydrate as described on the back of the nottingham package?

:tank:

This sounds perfectly normal, I've seen it happen with both dry and liquid yeast. Just before I cold crash (usually after three weeks in primary) I'll give my better bottle a gentle shake...not really a shake, I just grab the neck and give it a quick bump. This slight agitation makes a tiny wave or ripple inside which moistens any dried bits of krausen that are floating on the surface, and by the following day they sink to the bottom.

I did this yesterday to my stout, which had some floaties on the surface. Today, the surface looks like a black mirror, perfectly clean.

When i racked my brown, it just seemed like there was ALOT of clumps and some got into the bottling bucket, but luckly none got into the bottles. I don't think it will hurt anything, but was just wondering if that was normal. thanks for the replies.

I didn't rehydrate the notty, but did hydrate the safeale.

Back