ESB got the funk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
MERRY CHRISTMAS
I tasted my 4th batch. It has been in the bottle 2 weeks. Its definately got a bit of the funk. I used DME and fermented at 61 degrees for 1 week and 65 for 2 weeks. My first batch same thing. Both beers i used dry yeast. Is it the yeast, what am I doing wrong?

There are lots of people on here who can help you out, but you might need to help them by giving more details; full recipe, timing of everything added and aged, specific gravity, all the little details seem to help the gurus pinpoint the problem(s).

I can say that your beer is still young, and some beers just have a kind of "funk" to them. But if it seems something is wrong it may be. Give them the details and they'll give you good advice. I'm sure of it.

There are lots of people on here who can help you out, but you might need to help them by giving more details; full recipe, timing of everything added and aged, specific gravity, all the little details seem to help the gurus pinpoint the problem(s).

I can say that your beer is still young, and some beers just have a kind of "funk" to them. But if it seems something is wrong it may be. Give them the details and they'll give you good advice. I'm sure of it.

I would say it has the classic extract taste. My other batches were cleaner and i used liquid yeast. Hoping it mellows, my other batch didn't. All have been extract beers.
6 # light DME
.5 # castle biscuit
.75 # caramel brirss
Nottingham yeast
Half DME at 60 min.
Steeped grains at 155*
Half DME at 30 min.

please describe.

The taste on the finish that is thick, heavy and has a twang. Hard to describe. I have tasted it in other home brews as well.
Thanks for the help. It is still going to be drinkable, not as tasty as my other brews. A thought, could it be honey? That is the other common denominator that both beers have. Added at 10 minutes.

Back