23 tip and 10 tip combo on brutus stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
So I was planning on a 23 tip jet propane on my HLT side and the smaller 10 tip for the mash tun and boil kettle. Looking at gas pipe connection to propane tank with low pressure regulator. Any advice on this gas setup from those who have worked with these jet burners in combo? Also on the gas pipe firrings ect...This will be close to brutus 10 with few mods....any searches with parts list for the gas piping?

Will I have trouble with the 23 and 10 tip combo in control of flame with a lower reg or should I try a high pressure reg?

Jay

I do not own either and from what I have read about jet burners in these forums, I think I will keep it that way.

Not exactly an answer..and I have read the same things..Most have issues with 23 tip for mash and boil kettle. The 10 tip small jet burners work great for this. As for the HLT I just want to heat my water ASAP..so anyone else have any advice or suggestions?

J

Not exactly an answer..and I have read the same things..Most have issues with 23 tip for mash and boil kettle. The 10 tip small jet burners work great for this. As for the HLT I just want to heat my water ASAP..so anyone else have any advice or suggestions?

J

Sorry for the non answer. I am not a fan of jet burners but I do agree that if you are going to use them in your Brutus Stand that would be the most logical configuration. Be careful with the 23 tip burner. It puts out a lot of heat and I don't think it would take much effort for your HLT water to boil so be careful with your strike and mash water temps. I don't know what size of the batch you plan on brewing, but if it is less than 15 gallons maybe the 10 tip burners are appropriate for all three vessels.

I have a 23 tip in my setup and it works great for the HLT, brings a lot of water to temp in a hurry. I'll just qualify that by saying that I use it with natural gas, which was one reason I went with the jet burner. The other options are very expensive comparatively. The 10-tip is more than sufficient for heating the strike water, but if you want it done ASAP then the 23-tip is your burner.

I do 10 gallon batches and 15 gallon in the future. So I think a jet burner will work for my needs better. I also was looking for suggestions on gas piping for my system..I see lots of stand with different configurations..some gas piping running along the front some along the back. I do not see the need for an ASCO valve or a pilot light as I plan to to go HERMS on the Mash some day. black pipe for the gas good? How do some of you support the pipe to hold the burners on the stand?

Thanks for the info

J

I use the 10 tip for all three kettles and have no issue with heating the water up quickly. If you by the the 10 tipp from Topfoodservice.com be advise it take a 3/8 in pipe so you will have to use a reducing elbow.

I do 10 gallon batches and 15 gallon in the future. So I think a jet burner will work for my needs better. I also was looking for suggestions on gas piping for my system..I see lots of stand with different configurations..some gas piping running along the front some along the back. I do not see the need for an ASCO valve or a pilot light as I plan to to go HERMS on the Mash some day. black pipe for the gas good? How do some of you support the pipe to hold the burners on the stand?

Thanks for the info

J

Black pipe is perfect for propane. You could use copper also for propane. If you use natural gas black pipe is good but copper is not good.

... I'm not getting sucked into another jet burner slap fight since I've been in a bunch of them on this site and apologies for another non-answer but...

I have two 32's burning nat gas on a 20 gal herms rig (one on the HLT and one on the BK) and as I've posted before, you would have to pull 'em outta my cold dead hands.

... I'm not getting sucked into another jet burner slap fight since I've been in a bunch of them on this site and apologies for another non-answer but...

I have two 32's burning nat gas on a 20 gal herms rig (one on the HLT and one on the BK) and as I've posted before, you would have to pull 'em outta my cold dead hands.

Nice. I was not looking for any advice on which to use..or not to use..just how they are set up. So 1/2 pipe for pipe but I will need a reducer either at the 90 or straight reducer to bring to 3/8? No you have the pipe mounted to the stand some how? I think the front would make sense so I could easily control the flame from the front..but again my thoughts..

I never do 5 gallon boils any more and would like to step up to 15 gallon so these little 10 jet burners should be great. I'm sure they burn propane but still good balance.

Thanks

Jay

I have a ten foot outdoor Nat gas hose that comes out of my garage wall with a gas ball valve shut off at the wall. It then has a nat gas QD that I literally just plug into the back of my rig. The QD then tees into two and leads to each 32 tip burner through a Honeywell valve for each (part # on another thread somewhere). The gas valves are then controlled by two PIDs. I use 3/8 pipe and ya figure my PSI is only a couple of lbs since I'm using the nat gas supply from my house.

The slap fights on this forum (and you can look 'em up) is over whether or not you can control the output of these burners.

I can dial my flames down to 4 inches and up to three feet (seriously) with perfectly blue flames even though several people swear up and down that this is impossible and that I'm breaking laws of physics.

It comes down to whether you want propane or nat gas, what kind of valves you're using and whether or not you're able to hit the jackpot and get them to burn right. I have been able to figure it out and a couple of other folks have figured it out but others have relaly struggled to get them to burn right.

... at the end of the day, they put out a ASSLOAD of heat and you NEED to be able to control them... which... is a tricky proposition.

I have a 20 foot 1/2" rubber utility hose that runs from a tee coming off my hot water connection in the garage. I have a barbed fitting connected to a 1/2" gas ball valve, and that is all I use to control the flame. From the ball valve to the burner, I use an 18" section of NPT 1/2" black pipe. No problems with yellow flame except for at full blast...which is so hot you can barely stand to be within 3 feet of it.

Latest posts

Back