Anybody thought about what a RIMS mash does to your beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Let's say I do an IPA the old way.
1. Dough in at 122F for 10 min.
2. Add hot water to 140F for 45 min.
3. Add hot water to 158F for 15 min.
4. Mashout and/or fly sparge.

Using my RIMS:
2. Ramp temp to 140F (takes 20-30 min) and rest 45 min.
3. Ramp temp to 158F (takes 20-30 min) and rest 15 min.
4. Ramp temp to 168F (takes 10-15 min) and rest 10 min.
5. Fly sparge.

When using a RIMS, you ramp thru all phases of the process. Does this affect efficiency or attenuation, body, head retention, or taste? I seem to be getting a constant 80% efficiency but attribute this to hitting temperatures a little better.

I just finished building my system and hadn't thought of this until halfway through my first batch with it....I am curious as well. The beer turned out fantastic, but I too would like to know what others think it does. Is there any scientific evidence to prove ill effects or otherwise?

Let's say I do an IPA the old way.
2. Add hot water to 140F for 45 min.
3. Add hot water to 158F for 15 min.
4. Mashout and/or fly sparge.

Using my RIMS:
2. Ramp temp to 140F (takes 20-30 min) and rest 45 min.
3. Ramp temp to 158F (takes 20-30 min) and rest 15 min.
4. Ramp temp to 168F (takes 10-15 min) and rest 10 min.
5. Fly sparge.

When using a RIMS, you ramp thru all phases of the process. Does this affect efficiency or attenuation, body, head retention, or taste? I seem to be getting a constant 80% efficiency but attribute this to hitting temperatures a little better.

About 12 years ago I built a RIMS system. I was already brewing good beer but I was always looking to improve. I liked the idea of the RIMS system. It looked good and worked well but the process did not improve my beer. I saw no change in mash efficiency or yeast attenuation. Maybe somebody else had better results.

If it takes that long to get to each step, wouldn't it be just as effective to not stop at each temp and instead do a constant ramp up to your final mash temp?

I read somewhere that some breweries dough in cold water and ramp slowly up to the desired mash temp to allow the grains to go through all the phases.

Linc

If step mashing is the goal, applying heat should increase efficiency vs. additional thinning infusions. The reason would be that you're reserving more of your preboil volume for the sparge phase. Of course, this assumes that you get full conversion in both methods.

Back