Prickly Pear Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SafariBob

Reaction score
I just joined and have yet to meet anyone on here so I thought I would jump right in. Here is one of my favorites.

Prickly Pecker

• Apple juice to 5 gal
  • 3 pints prickly pear juice
  • 2 lbs dark brown sugar
  • 5 tbs yeast nutrient
  • 5 tsp pectin enzyme
  • 1 gal clover honey
  • EC-1118 (Hydrated)

Secondary
  • 5 cinnamon sticks
  • 2 vanilla beans
OG: 1.170; FG: 1.012; ABV: 21.1%

I live in West Texas so I collect a 5 gal bucket of prickly pear fruit in season. I then puree them and let it sit in the fridge for a day. The solids separate and float to the top leaving about 3-4 pts of prickly pear juice.

I don't boil the honey so I heat 1/2 gal of apple juice to around 160F. Then I add the brown sugar and honey to soften while I stir. I then simply add all the ingredients into a glass carboy, hydrate the yeast, and add when must is room temperature.

Wassail!
-SB

Eventually ended up adding another 3 quarts of prickly pear juice, 7 lbs of apples from New York and some more mesquite/orange blossom honey to this at secondary back in October 2011. Just bottled it with some sour orange rind and vanilla extract steeped together for a bit in some water. Not real hot but warm and flavorful. It should age nicely. Pictures to come.

GTG

My batch ended up being good, still have a few bottles left. I'm starting a new batch this weekend with citrus honey and using one of the Yeast Bay brett blends for my primary. I've got a gallon of prickly pear puree I'm using as well as some mesquite syrup I thought I would try also.

Back