Red APA - Recipe Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassaholic

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So this is the second recipe I've attempted to put together. So far all my brews have been a partial mash and came out pretty well. I designed this recipe for a deep red colored american pale ale and I was wondering if anyone could guide me in the right direction.

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.016
IBU: 43

Grain Bill:
6.6 lbs Light LME
1 lb American Pale 2 Row
1 lb Carared
8 oz Melanoidin Malt - Maybe only 4 oz?
8 oz Caramel 80L
4 oz Carafa II - Too Much?
4 oz White Wheat Malt - Need for head retention?

Hops:
1 oz Warrior @ 60 min
1 oz Zythos @ 10 min
1 oz Citra @ 10 min
1 oz Citra @ 5 min
1 oz Zythos - Dryhop
1 oz Citra - Dryhop

Yeast:
Wyeast 1272 All American Ale - Better than 1056 for high flocc?

So i know it might be a little hoppier than an average pale ale, but I'm fine with that. Also I'm not totally set on my hop schedule, though I would like to try the Citra as I've never used it and have some sitting in my freezer, other than that I'm very flexible. Also, I plugged the recipe into BeerSmith and it said that the SRM would be 20.5, so that's a little dark maybe? Another question I had was if 1 lb of base malt is enough to make an efficient partial mash. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

After reading up on Citra hops lately for my next APA, I think 3 oz is going to be overkill but if you like a big citrus/piney nose then by all means! Personally I would use 1 oz Citra at flame out or do the hop whirlpool with them once the beer is chilled to about 160F and then 1 oz citra in dry hop.

I would not use the carafa or you are going to make this more on the brown side.

No worries about head retention with carared and C-80 in there.

My APA's only use 8oz C-60 per 5 gallons and It give a nice thin lacey head till the last drop.

Thanks for the input. That's probably a good idea taking out the carafa. I was on the fence about it anyway. Maybe I don't need all the Citra, but I do enjoy a nice citrusy aroma. Has anyone used the Citra/Zythos combo before?

FYI, there is a RECIPES section of the forum that is pretty much dedicated to help with recipes and ingredients. In the future, you'll get much more feedback on questions like this over there.

Is there anyway to get this post moved to the recipes forum? I don't want to repost the same thread.

Eh, a moderator might come across this and move it.

I say go ahead and repost over there. You get at least one newbie pass ;)

The high gravity makes this more of an IPA. The low IBU count makes this more of an APA. I would recommend either cutting out some fermentables OR upping your total IBUs to give this beer a leg to stand on.

I would do this:

Mashed for 60 min at 148 F...

2-3 lbs American 2-row
1/2 to 1 lb. White Wheat
1/2 to 3/4 lb Carared
1/2 lb Melanoidin
2-4 oz, or enough Chocolate Malt for color

2.6 lbs extract added at boil start
4 lbs extract added very late in the boil
3/4 to 1 lb table or corn sugar (added late - optional)

20-35 IBUs Warrior @ 60 min
1 oz Zythos @ 10 min
1 oz Citra @ 10 min
1 oz Zythos @ 0 min
1 oz Citra @ 0 min
1.5-2 oz Zythos - Dryhop 7 days
1.5-2 oz Citra - Dryhop 7 days

1056 yeast starter

Back