Fermentation problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyHobbit

Reaction score
Hey-
I just did my FIRST batch of partial mash, using 3 lbs Vienna malt mashed with 1lb crystal malt and 1/2 lb of toasted pale malt, finishing with 3lbs of dry extract.
Bubbling started in the primary (I pitched dry yeast that I let "soak" for an hour in some water) but that was sunday and it's tuesday and the bubbling stopped. I've never had this happen so quickly before. Do I need to "disturb" the yeast? It's about 64 in my house, but that didn't affect the fermentation at the beginning? I'm confused at what to do.
Please advise!!!
Thanks

Hey-
I just did my FIRST batch of partial mash, using 3 lbs Vienna malt mashed with 1lb crystal malt and 1/2 lb of toasted pale malt, finishing with 3lbs of dry extract.
Bubbling started in the primary (I pitched dry yeast that I let "soak" for an hour in some water) but that was sunday and it's tuesday and the bubbling stopped. I've never had this happen so quickly before. Do I need to "disturb" the yeast? It's about 64 in my house, but that didn't affect the fermentation at the beginning? I'm confused at what to do.
Please advise!!!
Thanks

It sounds ok to me, but did you take any hydrometer readings?

Leave it be for at least another week, preferably two. I've given my fermenter a small twist or to to be sure, but it's probably not even necessary. Most of them stop bubbling much after a 2-3 days but there's still fermentation happening, also the yeast has a chance to clean up after itself somewhat. RDWHAHB, the bubbles don't really mean much other than it's changed gears.

yes, I did take hydro- at the start it was 1050, and I JUST checked it, and now it's 1010...after two days! I guess I'm okay. Any cause for a "shake" of my fermenter?

yes, I did take hydro- at the start it was 1050, and I JUST checked it, and now it's 1010...after two days! I guess I'm okay. Any cause for a "shake" of my fermenter?

looks like you're done. I'd move it off the yeast cake and put it in a secondary for a few weeks.

It will be fine but, I wouldn't soak dry yeast for an hour in water. Plain water is bad for yeast. To rehydrate it's recommended to hydrate in about 80F water for 15-30 minutes but no longer.

No need to shake. Even though it appears to have fermented out, I would leave it on the yeast cake for at least 7-10 days before racking to secondary. Let it clean itself up a bit. If you don't plan to secondary, leave it longer - I don't bottle prior to 3 weeks total from pitching date. The brew will taste better if you're patient.

Put the "Do not distrub" sign on it

I am sure you meant "disturb” But ya know "dis-trub" also works! I might use that in the future.

Instead if transferring from primary, its dis-trubing

ya know come to think of it you may have just made up a new word!!!!
opportunities like this don't come along too often

I am sure you meant "disturb” But ya know "dis-trub" also works! I might use that in the future.

Instead if transferring from primary, its dis-trubing

ya know come to think of it you may have just made up a new word!!!!
opportunities like this don't come along too often

I saw that typo later but decided to keep it as is. :D

Thanks to everyone for the advice- left the beer for a week, and it's now in the secondary. It's crystal clear, it's dropped from 1050-1010 and it tastes great (from what I tasted while racking). I'll let it sit for another 2 weeks, the bottle!
Thanks!

Back