Speed of kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenix26

Reaction score
I heard that if u put the beer into a keg while it is priming it finishes faster than if u have it in bottles.
So for instance, the batch i am brewing up right now, I have it in bottles and it is on the priming stage, directions say 3 weeks then it is complete.
I heard, however, if you put it in a keg during this stage it cuts the time in half.
Is this true?

If you are force carbonating with a CO2 tank, then yes, it typically takes about 7-10 days to carbonate. If you're naturally carbonating in a keg, then it takes the same amount of time.

whats the difference between force carbonation and natural carbonation?
I would assume that force carbonating would be to pressurize it with the CO2, but if I were to do that I would still need to priming sugar, correct?

Fenix26 said:
I would assume that force carbonating would be to pressurize it with the CO2
Yes.
Fenix26 said:
but if I were to do that I would still need to priming sugar, correct?
No. If you're looking to force carb, you should spend some time reading about it - google is your friend. It's very simple, but there's some science behind it and several different methods taking anywhere from a day or less, up to a couple of weeks, so you should do some research to figure out what's best for you.

Lets say I get priming sugar with my recipe kit, could i add that with the malt in order to boost up the alcohol content in my beer?
would it taste normal if i did that?

Well, yes, you could do that. But you would boost the alcohol by .28% for a 5 gallon batch. I'm not sure it'd be worth it!

Sometimes, if I don't have room for the keg in the kegerator right away, I prime it. I leave it at room temperature until it's carbed up, then vent it and stick it on the gas when there is an open tap. You could do that, and there is no effort or work involved in that.

That is true, but green beer is still green beer. Just because you can carb it faster doesn't mean it's going to taste any better. Most beer, bottled or kegged, are at their best after at least 6 weeks. That is why there is the 1-2-3 rule.

Realistically, you could force carb a beer in 15 min after it's chilled. Pressurize, shake, shake, shake, check carbonation level and adjust as necessary. I usually let mine sit, carbed, overnight if I carb this way. Works like a charm but it does reintroduce sediment into your beer, so I try to pull a pint or two out before I shake.

Back