Help Starting To Brew!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boykin

Reaction score
Starting to home brew and would like to know the basic equipment I'll need to be able to brew at least 5 gallons (one batch at a time will be fine for now) and be able to keg that beer.

An all inclusive kit would be great but if people add to make the kit a little better, that would be great!!

:tank:

Welcome to brewing! Personally I do 5 gallon brews and started with full boil extract beers. If this is also where you are starting there are any number of things that you would need.

Basics:
-Boil kettle (a 30qt aluminum kettle and propane burner are great if you can brew outside or in a garage. It is cheap and works well for many people, including myself). If you brew inside, you will probably want a smaller kettle, something that can fit on your stove, and you will likely be doing partial boils, which I know a number of people do).

Then the kits. I personally got mine from midwestsupplies on a groupon thing. Works well for me. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-basics-equipment-kit.html
I'm sure there are other sorts of kits similar at you LHBS or at austin homebrew supply, williams brewing, northern brewer or other spots, but that's just where I got mine at, all serve the same purpose!

That is pretty much all you need to start with.....

but....

If I were to start all over again, I would add in a couple of things on top of those:
-Starsan (get at least a 16oz bottle, it wont really go bad and it's amazing!)
-autosiphon (if you dont have one in the kit that you pick it's worth the money)
-glass carboy (or any type of carboy[google: glass vs plastic carboy for the full story], you will get to a point where you want to age beer for longer or have more beers going at once if you are anything like me, and its very useful.)

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-starter-kit.html <-this is what I would do if I were starting over again, and pick up the star san on the side.

If you want to go all out and do All grain.... well then that's a whole different boat, but all the above equipment + more things would be needed.

Happy Brewing!

Thank you both!!

So as far as the putting it in the keg (I already have my kegerater up and running efficiently) with the cornelius kegs, do I just poor the beer it? Sorry my questions are new and basic.. Other than the keg it self, I will also need the tubing and connectors to connect to my regulater, anything I am missing? besides that and the kegging kit and i plan on doing recipe kits to start

Thank you both!!

So as far as the putting it in the keg (I already have my kegerater up and running efficiently) with the cornelius kegs, do I just poor the beer it? Sorry my questions are new and basic.. Other than the keg it self, I will also need the tubing and connectors to connect to my regulater, anything I am missing? besides that and the kegging kit and i plan on doing recipe kits to start

You definitely DO NOT want to just pour the beer into the keg. This would oxidize the beer. You need to siphon with the tubing all the way to the bottom of the keg. No splashing.

You will need gas hose and beer lines and quick disconnects for both if you do not already have them.

I suggest that you give http://www.howtobrew.com/ this a read before you start brewing. It has some outdated information (there is a new version in print but not online) but will give you the basics.

^ this.

Also read the stickies here on this site and any of the multiple threads. They will give you great info as to how to brew.

Back