Headed to San Diego for a family trip, need help for beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will be taking a long weekend trip to San Diego with the family, an anniversary trip actually.

So this is not a beercation but I am sure I can sneak in a trip or to to a great bottle shop and a dinner/lunch or two at a brewpub or restaurant with a great beer selection.

So what are some good options? I am trying to find a hotel near the zoo. I am guessing we will be doing the zoo and/or wildlife park and/or sea world. Where would a good place to stay be with those locations in mind?

What is the best bottle shop or store for local beer?

What is a good kid friendly brewpub or restaurant with a good selection of local beer?

Thanks for your input!

If you can make it to Stone you won't regret it. Take a tour, eat at the restaurant...they have local beer on tap.

You will LOVE the San Diego brew scene! Stone is a MUST! I'd also recommend Oggi's for pizza and great beers, Green Flash brewery, oh and Slater's 50/50 burger is out of this world and they have about 100 beers on tap. Try their bacon brownie as it is out of sight!! Oh, and Yardhouse, and...well you get the idea. Check this web page out too: http://sandiego.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=sandiego&cdn=citiestowns&tm=9&gps=466_77_1920_962&f=00&su=p554.23.342.ip_&tt=3&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.drinkupsandiego.com/index.html

There are also several tour companies that will take you to all of the better breweries on a day trip. Did I mention you must go to Stone??

Not sure it if you can work it out with the family, but White Labs is in San Diego. I'm trying to make a trip out that way this year and would love to visit their tasting room.

If you can make it to Stone you won't regret it. Take a tour, eat at the restaurant...they have local beer on tap.

I should have given more info, I have been to SD before and been to stone twice. Haven't done the tour yet though but we did have a nice dinner there with the fam one year and that is a good option if we can get in in a descent time

You will LOVE the San Diego brew scene! Stone is a MUST! I'd also recommend Oggi's for pizza and great beers, Green Flash brewery, oh and Slater's 50/50 burger is out of this world and they have about 100 beers on tap. Try their bacon brownie as it is out of sight!! Oh, and Yardhouse, and...well you get the idea. Check this web page out too: http://sandiego.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=sandiego&cdn=citiestowns&tm=9&gps=466_77_1920_962&f=00&su=p554.23.342.ip_&tt=3&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.drinkupsandiego.com/index.html

There are also several tour companies that will take you to all of the better breweries on a day trip. Did I mention you must go to Stone??

nice suggestions, I was thinking of Oggis or Pizza Port actually. I think there is a good amount for the kids there. That burger place looks awesome, not a kids menu specifically but we could figure something out. It's also about the atmosphere. The wifey won't go for a bar atmosphere with the kids, it works for lunch but not for dinner with a crowd. I have figured this out during previous trips to San Diego and Denver/fort collins etc....

Not sure it if you can work it out with the family, but White Labs is in San Diego. I'm trying to make a trip out that way this year and would love to visit their tasting room.

I definately want to do the White labs, tasting bar someday but I will have to do that without the fam on a guys trip someday

Bine and vine is in north park Kensington area just down the street from the zoo. That is your best option without going out of the way.

Bine and vine is in north park Kensington area just down the street from the zoo. That is your best option without going out of the way.

nice, we will be staying near point loma On Saturday night so I should be able to find some good stuff near by. In Escondido for the previous 2 days.

Holiday wine cellar in Escondido. Best selection I have ever seen. On the corner of Escondido Blvd and Mission road.

coosabrew said:
Holiday wine cellar in Escondido. Best selection I have ever seen. On the corner of Escondido Blvd and Mission road.

This! Holiday Wine cellar is amazing. Bottle Craft in San diego is bery good too. Pizza Port is perfect for family, Great food, better beer.

I love stone but i think they are a little overrated. When I have craft beer friends come into town my first suggestion is White Labs Tasting room if they are a homebrewer and Lost Abbey if they aren't. Not saying Stone isn't great but its overhyped for sure.

This! Holiday Wine cellar is amazing. Bottle Craft in San diego is bery good too. Pizza Port is perfect for family, Great food, better beer.

I love stone but i think they are a little overrated. When I have craft beer friends come into town my first suggestion is White Labs Tasting room if they are a homebrewer and Lost Abbey if they aren't. Not saying Stone isn't great but its overhyped for sure.

thanks, that place looks good for some shopping while I am there

Pizza Port Carlsbad has a bottle shop next to it but Ive never been in it.

Yeah, I remember that too, I always forget to go in there. The Carlsbad Pizza port is the only one I have been too but go on almost every trip. I am thinking of trying the ocean beach one this year.

Sublime ale house in San Marcos is a nice place. They have a very good selection of local brews and good grub too. They do not make there own, don't know if that spins you the wrong way. Good place to go if you don't have the funds or means to travel around. Loud enough to bring the kids and they will not disturb. The owner is a real nice guy too, likes to go around and get input from customers.

Sublime ale house in San Marcos is a nice place. They have a very good selection of local brews and good grub too. They do not make there own, don't know if that spins you the wrong way. Good place to go if you don't have the funds or means to travel around. Loud enough to bring the kids and they will not disturb. The owner is a real nice guy too, likes to go around and get input from customers.

Thanks, those are the kind of places I am looking for, family friendly and a great local or even non-local beers selection and if they brew on site or sell their beer (preferably not contract brewed) that is a bonus.

What about a beer shop near the airport/ocean beach/zoo area? Will be headed to the zoo on Saturday and then spending the night near point loma, wouldn't mind picking up some beers to take home and/or for the hotel.

Trader Mort's is listed in the area by beermapping.com is that place any good?

Back