What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jonmohno said:
Lagunitas Sucks. Possibly the best valued beer ever. Moderate craft beer price/mega-good. A little overwhelmingly-wow.

I'm having one too and I completely agree

KeyWestBrewing said:
Just finished a Wake N Bake from Terrapin. Never get tired of this stuff.

That has been the hardest beer for me to get ahold of here.

My Bitter. It's been a while since I had the MO version. So much better than the Pale Ale malt version.

20130201_224523[1].jpg

BrewinHooligan said:
Drinking a Hopslam. #5 from the 6er I picked up last week. It is much better if it's poured very aggressively. Still kinda disappointed. It's good, don't get me wrong. Just over-priced and over-hyped.

Yes, $18 a sixer here. I'd rather pay $6 less and get a sixer of Sculpin.

HPIM1988.jpg

The aroma's definitely subdued, but notes of citrus, pine, dank, earthy pine forest like aroma and some sweet, mead like qualities. I also get some sweet caramel, white bread and fruit-y esters. There's some grassy, dry hops character there too; fresh, cut grass. Cold, with a head on it, the aroma was so faint. Flavor is BAM: malty sweetness immediately cut by a huge hops bitterness. Then come some faint, grassy citrus and pine hops that are quickly washed away by what I can only call an astringency on the sides of the tongue. The finish is bitter, pine needle-like hoppiness and a bit of alcohol that continues to warm. Overall, I think this is a good beer. Does it live up to the hype, not even close. A solid double IPA but severely lacking in hops flavor and aroma. I see why so many love it, but I prefer a punch of hops in the face type IIPA.

I should add, now that I'm s'posed to be looking at beers for their respective styles, that this beer does nail the style to a f'n T with a capital T. I'd probably score it in the high 30s. It's not my thing for sure, I want to taste the hops too, but it is a classic example of the style.

View attachment 98197

The aroma's definitely subdued, but notes of citrus, pine, dank, earthy pine forest like aroma and some sweet, mead like qualities. I also get some sweet caramel, white bread and fruit-y esters. There's some grassy, dry hops character there too; fresh, cut grass. Cold, with a head on it, the aroma was so faint. Flavor is BAM: malty sweetness immediately cut by a huge hops bitterness. Then come some faint, grassy citrus and pine hops that are quickly washed away by what I can only call an astringency on the sides of the tongue. The finish is bitter, pine needle-like hoppiness and a bit of alcohol that continues to warm. Overall, I think this is a good beer. Does it live up to the hype, not even close. A solid double IPA but severely lacking in hops flavor and aroma. I see why so many love it, but I prefer a punch of hops in the face type IIPA.

I should add, now that I'm s'posed to be looking at beers for their respective styles, that this beer does nail the style to a f'n T with a capital T. I'd probably score it in the high 30s. It's not my thing for sure, I want to taste the hops too, but it is a classic example of the style.

The only thing I disagree about is the aroma,it was a face**** for me.Otherwise I agree.:mug: I had the 1-10 bottle,what did you have? Reviews were bashing the 1-3? version I think. Every year Ive been anticipated about this beer yet it always underwelms the expectations every time.Its still good just not my thing everytime. The way you described it to me sounds like a two-brothers beer every time.

The only thing I disagree about is the aroma,it was a face**** for me.Otherwise I agree.:mug: I had the 1-10 bottle,what did you have? Reviews were bashing the 1-3? version I think. Every year Ive been anticipated about this beer yet it always underwelms the expectations every time.Its still good just not my thing everytime. The way you described it to me sounds like a two-brothers beer every time.

The bottles I grabbed were 1/9. I saw the review about the off flavor in the 1/3 bottles. Didn't get that, and all and all, it's a great beer. Just not my kinda IIPA by any stretch of the term. My wife adores is, so we always stock up each year. I'm gonna stash away some bottles this year, I always seem to enjoy this beer more after a few months. The hops (what's there) go, but the honey and alcohol begin creating some really nice flavors after some time, IMO.

Anyway, onto something more up my alley....

HPIM1993.jpg

The bottles I grabbed were 1/9. I saw the review about the off flavor in the 1/3 bottles. Didn't get that, and all and all, it's a great beer. Just not my kinda IIPA by any stretch of the term. My wife adores is, so we always stock up each year. I'm gonna stash away some bottles this year, I always seem to enjoy this beer more after a few months. The hops (what's there) go, but the honey and alcohol begin creating some really nice flavors after some time, IMO.

Anyway, onto something more up my alley....

View attachment 98204

Agreed. Im a little underwelmed with expectations each time. I just was blew away by aroma this time,but not taste. I noticed more honey the last time that I never noticed the year before. Not one of my favorate ipa's either but is good,not really a double worth that price either.

Awesome description and I agree 100%. On tap the hop aroma is much stronger, like a fresh cut Christmas tree and it's much better but I like a more aggressive bitterness than this has.

Awesome description and I agree 100%. On tap the hop aroma is much stronger, like a fresh cut Christmas tree and it's much better but I like a more aggressive bitterness than this has.

Oh, totally. On tap, this beer is off the hook. It's what some would call "a whole 'nother animal".... At least last year and years previous, I haven't had a pull yet this year.

Samuel Adams Spring Thaw Variety Pack.....and I must say the Double Agent IPL is very good. Too bad there was only 2 of them.

Lagunitas Sucks. Possibly the best valued beer ever. Moderate craft beer price/mega-good. A little overwhelmingly-wow. Good-God. Think you love a beer like Hopslam? Drink this. This brewery only keeps inspiring me every time I try another. Guess its just my small opinon though,but Im still giving it a shout-out. I pretty much love all their ****. Everything is like wow! or damn! nearly if not every time.

I feel the same way. I have 2 6'ers of it right now and cant wait to just drown my happiness with a 49'er win on Sunday in Lagunitas Sucks. Its such a great brewery, with an awesome taproom/ visitor center and pretty much all their stuff rocks. I have always loved their stuff. Even their IPA is kinda like a benchmark for me to measure others against.

eandersen said:
I much prefer the 60 minute to the 90. The 90 is too balanced for my tastes not enough in your face hops

Ya, they call it an Imperial IPA. Out here in Portland it wouldn't really be considered one. Bridgeport's Hop Czar would eat it for lunch.

morticus said:
Ya, they call it an Imperial IPA. Out here in Portland it wouldn't really be considered one. Bridgeport's Hop Czar would eat it for lunch.

I've had the Czar and I highly disagree.

WYOBrews said:
I totally agree! I didn't mean any offense.

None taken. Life's to short to get your panties in a bunch over beer. :) I can generally find something to appreciate in most beers.

morticus said:
None taken. Life's to short to get your panties in a bunch over beer. :) I can generally find something to appreciate in most beers.

I hear you man! It's tough finding good beers where I live. Everyone is of the BMC crowd around here. I actually had to travel to Tahoe to find the DFH 90. I did enjoy it though! We are lucky enough to get nearly all if the Lagunitas, Oscar Blues, Sierra Nevada, and Odells beers around here if you're willing to travel an hour! Uinta Brewing is starting to kick out some descent beers too! I'm glad I make my own beer though. I hate traveling for it. I gotta say though, I really enjoy Oscar Blues Deviant Dales. That is a malty, in your face hoppy beer. Delicious!

WYOBrews said:
I hear you man! It's tough finding good beers where I live. Everyone is of the BMC crowd around here. I actually had to travel to Tahoe to find the DFH 90. I did enjoy it though! We are lucky enough to get nearly all if the Lagunitas, Oscar Blues, Sierra Nevada, and Odells beers around here if you're willing to travel an hour! Uinta Brewing is starting to kick out some descent beers too! I'm glad I make my own beer though. I hate traveling for it. I gotta say though, I really enjoy Oscar Blues Deviant Dales. That is a malty, in your face hoppy beer. Delicious!

Ya, I grew up in Rock Springs and Green River so I know what your talking about.

Clearly that homosexual Nord didn't notice that I am chugging Surly like it's going out of style.. :D hey Nard, what do you want from here?

Latest posts

Back