American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ended up adding DME until I got to 1.051, still hit my 5 gallon final volume. that'll be my last venture into all grain in a small apartment kitchen. partial mash all day, but i don't have room for any sort of efficient brewing at that volume. Bah.

Partial mash is good, I live in a one bedroom and do 2.5 gallon all-grain BIAB batches but that's about as far as I'll go. Anything 5 gallons is partial mash or extract. 2.5 gallons takes long enough to boil as it is on my apartment stove...

Partial mash is good, I live in a one bedroom and do 2.5 gallon all-grain BIAB batches but that's about as far as I'll go. Anything 5 gallons is partial mash or extract. 2.5 gallons takes long enough to boil as it is on my apartment stove...

yep. just thought i'd see how far i could push it, now I know :) Helpful to have a "stop" sign as far as how far to push towards craziness. This locks me in to a nice reasonably-sized, reasonable equipment needs, etc.

Thanks to everyone who's given advice as I've gotten through my first three brews. I feel pretty confident going ahead now, like I've had my trials and tribulations, seen that the beer turns out fine, and so the patience is now there, and i feel like this batch will turn out to be my best, and the next after will be the best, etc and so forth

My efficiency is off for some reason. I'd like to blame the milling. The first couple of times I brewed all grain I was over 80%. Now that I get my stuff from BMW, it is lower. May be a connection there. I eeked a 1.049 out of this one.

Come on man... 0.002 off and you're complaining?

Used this as my pale ale base and couldn't be happier. Thanks to the man from just down the road from a fellow Austin brewer! Subbed in Falconer's and Northern Brewer. Almost an IPA, but I'm completely fine with that. New "Haus Pale" :ban:
88896d1355712723-what-you-drinking-now-forumrunner_20121216_205153.jpg

Had to crack one of these open after only a week in the bottle, the suspense was killing me.

This was the first batch I finally had everything dialed in - water chemistry, ingredient supplier, BIAB methodology, fermentation methods, etc.

It has a nice, hoppy, bready aroma. The taste is clean, bready, slightly crisp biscuity saltine-cracker with a hint of honey. The hops are just smooth and clean.

It's just a great recipe. As far as pale ales go, it's what I'd describe as 'tame' - it doesn't get in your face and bludgeon you with a sack of cones, and the malt doesn't make as sweet and thick as some. As such, I'm less inclined to this style than I am to darker, hoppier APAs.

However, it tastes like something I would buy in a store. I wouldn't change anything about the recipe, and it will be fantastic to have around for friends. I can't imagine anyone guessing it's a homebrew recipe unless they were told.

Anyone on the fence: Just brew this. It's great. :mug: Thanks EdWort!

Making my second batch tomorrow. First batch was dyhopped with citra.Thsi batch I am Removing the 30 minute and adding .5 oz citra at 10 and 0, Also will dry hop with citra and maybe a little cascade. Guy at a homebrew shop I was talking to did a similiar malt bill and with this hop schedule and said it was great. Worth a try.

Just finished brewing this recipe for my first ever all-grain batch!

The biggest lesson I learned?- start earlier in the day. All grain takes a while longer... but man that mash tun smells awesome!

I'll report back when its time to test the first bottle.

My batch has been in the primary now for exactly 10.5 days.

Started at OG 1.059 and is now down to 1.018 and there is little or no bubbling. Overnight the gravity shifted maybe half a point.

Bearing in mind that it started a little higher (OG 1.059) than the recipe indicated (OG 1.050) is it ready to bottle or should I wait a little longer ?

With a starting gravity like that will it ever reach FG 1.010 ?

Must tell you that it already tastes really, really nice. I think it's going to be a good one !

I would give it one or two more days, checking the gravity once each day. Make sure it has stabilized. I have never bottled in less than two weeks, just me. Also give the beer a little more time to floc out for clarity sake.

But you"ll be fine either way I am sure.

My batch has been in the primary now for exactly 10.5 days.

Started at OG 1.059 and is now down to 1.018 and there is little or no bubbling. Overnight the gravity shifted maybe half a point.

Bearing in mind that it started a little higher (OG 1.059) than the recipe indicated (OG 1.050) is it ready to bottle or should I wait a little longer ?

With a starting gravity like that will it ever reach FG 1.010 ?

Must tell you that it already tastes really, really nice. I think it's going to be a good one !

Try to heat it to 72 for a few days if you can. Was it extract.

Mine ended at 1.013. I think you're rushing it, I'd give it at least 2 weeks, preferably 3. Take a reading 3 days before you plan to bottle and make sure it's the same on bottling day.

Mmmmmm !

Recipe says 10 days. Didn't move a point overnight so I've put it i to the fridge to crash cool for 3 days. Going to bottle in days.

Being my first brew maybe I'm a little impatient !!!! Next time I'll wait a little longer.

Being my first brew maybe I'm a little impatient !!!! Next time I'll wait a little longer.

Have your next batch ready as soon as the fermenter is empty. Trust me. One of my fermenters has had a continuous batch of this going since my first batch was conditioned. I need to start buying the ingredients in bulk to save some money.

Mmmmmm !

Recipe says 10 days. Didn't move a point overnight so I've put it i to the fridge to crash cool for 3 days. Going to bottle in days.

Some say less time is required than I practice. For the future, however long you decide to ferment, it's generally best to take two gravity readings 3 days apart to make sure the gravity isn't still dropping. Overnight isn't long enough to be sure, and the thought of exploding bottles means I just don't take the risk.

I always finish at 1.011, that is all grain. If your doing extract it will finish a little higher.

I checked gravity 3 days after brew day when the krausen dissappeared and got 1.022. Then last night on day 4 I got 1.010. Very strange. Anyway, I'm crashing it with biofine tonight, kegging it on Sunday and then bottling some for Christmas. Grain to glass in 9 days. Hopefully it won't suck.

Yeah, krausen is a poor indicator of fermentation. I recently had a beer that literally had no krausen at any point during fermentation, but finished out. :confused:

Yeah, krausen is a poor indicator of fermentation. I recently had a beer that literally had no krausen at any point during fermentation, but finished out. :confused:

I have noticed that putting those Fermcap drops in during the boil to prevent boil overs also helps with reducing krausen during fermentation. I have rigged up blow off tubes for my last 3 brews but haven't come close to needing them.

Brewed this all grain last night, still trying to dial in my system. I had been fly sparging with a fine crush from my corona and was getting 90% efficiency but i was getting stuck runoffs. I loosened up my crush and went with a batch sparge. I cut back the grain because I was expecting better efficiency. So I did 7 lbs 2 row, 1.5 Vienna a nd .5 crystal. I hit my temps but came in shy with my pre boil og, I added .5 lbs DME to the boil and hit 1.050 for a 5 gal batch instead of the 5.5 gal tach I was planning. The notty is going to town as we speak. Looking forward to tasting this soon.

I have noticed that putting those Fermcap drops in during the boil to prevent boil overs also helps with reducing krausen during fermentation. I have rigged up blow off tubes for my last 3 brews but haven't come close to needing them.

This one exploaded all over the keezer with a carboy filled up near the top and 12 drops of fermcap. I have come to realize that at least 3/4 of a gallon of headspace is essential to prevent this.

which salts i add depend on the recipe...gypsum, calcium carbonate, chalk, epsom..so on. depending on the desired calcium, sulfate, and so on levels that are desired.

The salts I added for a 2.5 gallon batch are here (along with the 1oz of acid malt), and I liked the results - but be sure to scale accordingly for 5 gallons. You may want to adjust them for your sparging setup, etc (I do BIAB). I based it on the "Yellow Bitter" profile in Bru'n Water, so that's a good place to start.

Come on man... 0.002 off and you're complaining?

I had in my mind it was supposed to be in the 1.060s for some reason. But come on man, who doesn't want to get more sugars? :cross:

I fermented with nottingham, at 61ish, and checked gravity yesterday. On the money @ 1.011. Stuck outside last night to crash cool and might keg today.

To those who have brewed this: Do you think 10 days in the primary, overnight crash cool, and in the keg for 36 hours will be sufficient to take to the family's house drink for Christmas will be ok? I know it will get better in a couple of weeks. This will be my first kegged beer btw.

Rahahb said:
To those who have brewed this: Do you think 10 days in the primary, overnight crash cool, and in the keg for 36 hours will be sufficient to take to the family's house drink for Christmas will be ok? I know it will get better in a couple of weeks. This will be my first kegged beer btw.

It will be drinkable, but not the best until it gets some age. You better get crackin if you want it to be carbed up enough.

I had in my mind it was supposed to be in the 1.060s for some reason. But come on man, who doesn't want to get more sugars? :cross:

I fermented with nottingham, at 61ish, and checked gravity yesterday. On the money @ 1.011. Stuck outside last night to crash cool and might keg today.

I crashed mine at 1.010 on Friday and will keg it today. Then I'm going to add some more biofine and charge it to 40 psi, unplug, shake it down to below 10 and repeat until the pressure measures about 12. Then tomorrow I'll bottle up 6 or 8 for Tuesday. I'm sure it won't be awesome, but it should tastes o.k. enough. This beer already tastes nothing like when I did it with extracts.

Bottling this (very late) tonight. The two hydrometer samples were friggin great. Lots of aroma, even without the dryhopping. Can't wait until it's ready to taste

brewing up an altered version of this tonight. Scaled up for a 7 gallon batch (with 5.5 or 6 into the fermenter). and swapped out the crystal 10 for crystal 60....because i have 60.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP 007
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 7
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 44
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 6.3 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Days at 68 degrees

Grain Bill
10.5 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2.5 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 60L Malt

1.25 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.75 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.75 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

I brewed this today. Doubled the ingredients for an 11 gal batch. My starting gravity was 061. Being a rookie, I'm not sure if thats good or bad (recipe says it should e 051...).

brick_haus said:
I brewed this today. Doubled the ingredients for an 11 gal batch. My starting gravity was 061. Being a rookie, I'm not sure if thats good or bad (recipe says it should e 051...).

I've over shot this before, just do a good dry hop and it will be great.

I dry hopped with 1/2 oz cascades last night. I checked the gravity and it was at 1.010. I figured that it was probably finished so I moved it near my basement bulk head to cold crash and condition. The carboy is reading 45 deg right now. I tasted the hydro sample and it still has a lot of the yeast /fermentation smell and I think it just needs some time to age. I will check it again in a week or 2.

I checked gravity 3 days after brew day when the krausen dissappeared and got 1.022. Then last night on day 4 I got 1.010. Very strange. Anyway, I'm crashing it with biofine tonight, kegging it on Sunday and then bottling some for Christmas. Grain to glass in 9 days. Hopefully it won't suck.

I guess 9 days is too early. This one was way too green.:p It was carbonated and drinkable but somewhat tastless. After I finish crashing it a few more days, I'm pulling it to age for a month. Hopefully there is some hop flavor in there somewhere. If not I'll dry hop.

Brewed this one last weekend. This was the first recipe on my new 3-tier keggle setup. Also the first time using my new counterflow chiller. Everything went well, nailed my mash temp and chilled the wort down to 62 in about 5 minutes.

Only strange thing I am noticing is fermentation is lasting a very long time. I pitched a 1 liter starter of WLP001. Its been actively fermenting for 6 days! Not just airlock bubbles (don't worry I know) but I can see the yeasties swirling around in my better bottle. I guess they are happy! I've never had active fermentation last more then 2-3 days.

I finally got around to brewing this about 7 weeks ago. I looked through my logs and it turns out since 2004 I've NEVER brewed an all-Cascade pale ale. :drunk:

Kept this KISS all around. Water was RO with just 60 ppm Ca, 40 ppm SO4, and 75 ppm Cl. Nothing else. The only recipe changes were adding 3 oz acid malt, 0.5 lbs Cara-pils, and using US-05 (what I had). 1.052 to 1.009 @ 67*F. I'm sure the US-05 had something to say about that attenuation.

This recipe is a perfect example of how simple can be great. It took about 5 weeks to really clear, but it turned out beautiful when it did. Creamy head, very clean bitterness, perfect malt finish, although not a ton of hop aroma. It is scary-drinkable. I might use this as a base for some other single-hop pale ales.

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

Just ordered this recipe off of Brewmasters Warehouse, minus the hops and yeast. I was looking for a grain base to both try out some hop combinations (will still use Cascade most likely), and to help cultivate a Conan-strain I am harvesting from a can of Heady Topper. This seems perfect for the job. And I bet it will be delicious.

I will update!

Latest posts

Back