What do you mean I'm a nerd?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluckk

Reaction score
My daughter just came in to see me posting on here. Her response: "Oh, my gosh! Home Brew Talk? Dad, you're a nerd."

Children never appreciate their parents, for whom they really are.

I prefer the term geek or enthusiast. I just don't think homebrewing BEER is such a "nerdy" hobby, since it spans a broad range of people; doctors, construction workers, bikers, artists, scientists, ministers, frat boys, hipsters, and nerds.....

I prefer the term geek or enthusiast. I just don't think homebrewing BEER is such a "nerdy" hobby, since it spans a broad range of people; doctors, construction workers, bikers, artists, scientists, ministers, frat boys, hipsters, and nerds.....

You can prefer that, but you're still a beer nerd Rev ;) It's ok, wear it as a badge of pride.

Any time I get excited and start talking about the chemical processes or yeasts or fermentation to my friends, they all start chuckling and calling me a nerd.

(then again, I enjoy doing linear regressions for fun...so maybe the shoe fits)

I don't know that it MUST be nerdy per se, but you don't have to go too deep into these forums to find out that it certainly CAN get pretty nerdy...for example, any thread in the electric brewing section. Or any thread discussing water profiles, only to list two of many such topics!

tumblr_map4enBHjX1qkb6u3o1_400.jpg

I for some reason, have this aversion to the word 'enthusiast'. I do not know why, but I really do not want to be an anything enthusiast. It just feels so... dirty. Call me a geek, nerd, dork, nut-bag, or what have you. i just dont feel comfortable being an enthusiast.

OK, rant over.

My kids refer to me as a beer geek all the time and politely remind people to "not get him started on the subject" or he will bore you to death.............

Then they drink my beer................and want to know more!

I for some reason, have this aversion to the word 'enthusiast'. I do not know why, but I really do not want to be an anything enthusiast. It just feels so... dirty. Call me a geek, nerd, dork, nut-bag, or what have you. i just dont feel comfortable being an enthusiast.

OK, rant over.

"If you boat a lot, you're known as a 'boating enthusiast'. I like to boat, but I just don't ever want to be known as a 'boating enthusiast.' I hope they call me a 'guy who likes to boat'."
- Mitch Hedburg

"If you boat a lot, you're known as a 'boating enthusiast'. I like to boat, but I just don't ever want to be known as a 'boating enthusiast.' I hope they call me a 'guy who likes to boat'."
- Mitch Hedburg

Thats about right. I knew some comedian did something on the subject, but for the life of me couldntr figure out which one. I agree though.

Nerds are just geeks who are in denial. :D

Today is my day off and my daughter (who already thinks I'm a nerd) is home from school. It didn't help my image when UPS delivered the stuff for my new 10 gallon MLT and my daughter saw my glee when assembling it. I fell right off then end of the nerd scale into downright embarrassing.

I'm still living in the golden age of parenthood (kids are 6 & 8), where my kids automatically think everything I do is the coolest thing ever. I'm dreading the switch in a couple of years, when they won't want to be seen with me...

I'm still living in the golden age of parenthood (kids are 6 & 8), where my kids automatically think everything I do is the coolest thing ever. I'm dreading the switch in a couple of years, when they won't want to be seen with me...

Oh how I miss those days when Dad was the god of cool and mom the queen of the universe. I read once that Mark Twain said "When a boy turns 13 you should seal him in a barrel and feed him through the bung hole. When he turns 16 you seal up the bung hole."

I think this is one crowd where I won't have to explain what a bung hole is. I don't know how many times I've shared this saying and people thought I was being perverse. You just want to shake 'em and yell, "Buy a dictionary!"

There is an obvious fix for your kids calling you a nerd. Hit your kids. They will be too busy flinching to call you names.

You can trust my advice, I have no kids, so I'm not tainted by pesky "experience".

Back