Top off water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpyn55

Reaction score
Have been using bottled water for topping off partial boils . Is this nessesery or can I just tap water for this. Thanks

In most cases, topping off with pre-boiled tap water is just fine. Bring a few gallons to boil the day before your brew day and put them in a sanitized container. Of course, knowing the actual chemical composition of your tap water would help and certain styles of beer do better with adjustments to you tap water. There are water chemistry articles here on homebrewtalk to learn more.

Ive had no trouble with tap water without boiling. I've actually had more trouble with boiled water picking up something while it is cooling down. but your mileage may vary. It really depends on your water. Making sure everything is clean, boiling, and an air tight seal on the containers is probably the safest way to go.

I have never had issues with contamination and I top off using tap water run through a brita, and then treated with Camden. If you are not waiting a long time to pitch your yeast, the yeast should be able to gain a stronghold that any contaminant in your tap water won't have a chance against.

When I did extract/partial boils I always used the sprayer attachment on my sink. Never had any problems shooting it straight into the carboy.

The three years and hundreds of gallons of beer, I have always topped off carboys right out of the tab and never a problem.

Back