pitched yeast too high temp, add more?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammy48

Reaction score
Hello, I pitched my ale yeast at 100 degrees Fahrenheit and there is no bubbling at all in my wort. Should I add another pack and slosh the carboy around?

Other question:
Do you aerate after pitching the yeast?

Thanks

100 won't kill the yeast. How long ago was this? You're probably fine.

I usually aerate prior to pitching, but if I forget I'll do it after, no worries.

Aerate before pitching, and stop pitching above 70 degrees.

100 degrees probably didn't kill your yeast, I hydrate dry yeast at 100 all the time.

Give it another day before you do anything at this point. Do some more reading about proper processes on here and then do better next time.

how long has it been? 100 is fine, I read that some labs actually grow their yeast near 100f. If anything their having a big yeast orgy right now!

Haha, okay. It was about an hour ago. It got aerated pretty well before pitching I think... I used a siphon sprayer nozzle. I thought 100 was okay until I started reading some posts that said otherwise.

yea you want it to be somewhere near 70. I pitched hot a few times when I was first starting out and the Beer turned out fine. Just another Lesson learned. just keep the fermentation temps to your yeast specs and youll be fine!

So you cool down to 70 in your BK before siphoning into the fermenter?

Do you think the siphon sprayer did enough aeration or should I shake it tomorrow?

yes, cool then aerate. Siphon sprayer will add some o2 but it depends on how long you do it for. Give the beer a little time before messing with it. Fermentation can take 2 days before it actually starts. If by day 3 you see no signs then something maybe wrong.

Don't shake it now. Leave it alone. Yeast use the available 02 during multiplication at the first part of fermentation. By the time you see the activity the yeast are already done using the 02 in most cases.

Next time cool to below 70 in the Bk. Siphon and aerate. Pitch and then leave it alone.

Success!

image.jpg

Why can't you aerate after pitching?

You can aerate right after pitching, but like chumpsteak said, the 02 is only used by the yeast for the very early stages and it is not good to induce 02 into your beer beyond that point, so you shouldn't be shaking it up once the yeast have had their opportunity to start reproducing.

Now my airlock is not bubbling and there is just a small rim of bubbles on the outside, otherwise it looks "flat". See pic. Is this bad?

image.jpg

Looks good to me. The majority of the fermentation is likely complete, but it will "Flatten" out over time as you don't have much pressure (like a cap) to keep it from escaping. Give it it's time to finish and clean up and you'll have a fine beer!

Yep, fermentation is slowing down and so is the production of co2 which creates less pressure to escape through the airlock and it stops bubbling.

Latest posts

Back