What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another: it haves great reviews and I only tried it like three times but I must say XX bitter from de Ranke itñs the worst belgian IPA that I ever had

I've had great beers at all the Raleigh area breweries so I didn't think twice about buying tickets to a wing festival at Roth Brewing a few weeks ago. The wings were okay but the beers, and I tried 3, were awful.

Their cinnamon porter had overwhelming hot fusels that gave the beer a cinnamon rubbing alcohol taste. The Raleigh Red, an amber, was bland and watery with zero hop flavor and aroma. The honey hefeweizen was drinkable but crystal clear with no hefeweizen characteristics.

I felt bad for all the hipsters drinking these beers and trying to act like the beers were great.

I have to second this. I had Roth's lineup at the CoHop Festival in Burlington last weekend. They were all terrible.

Stone's 16th Anniversary Ale was pretty bad. Just wasn't a huge fan of the lemon verbena in an IPA. And Stone is my favorite brewery!

Shipyard apple head, It's nasty. Straight up nasty. Apple pie, apple cider, apple sauce all are great American institutions. Apple beer is gross dude. Seriously. I couldn't even drink it after I got good and drunk. Nasty.

At the American craft beer fest in Boston Haverhill brewery put out a salt beer. They are an awesome, award winning brewery, but this was a miss. Imagine a beer made with sea water. Yuck.

It's worth mentioning again how bad applehead is. Pumpkin head is good. Smashed blueberry is good. Applehead is disgusting.

IffyG said:
Maybe Shipyard's Apple Beer is bad, I've never had it. I will say that New Glarus's Apple Ale is top notch.

True story.

My vote also goes to summer shandy. So bad.

Is Leinenkugal considered craft?

I pretty much don't care for anything they make, but that nasty-assed Fruity Pebbles tasting Sunset Wheat is the worst beer in the history of beer.

I second this one. My god that is an awful beer. It literally tastes like it was dry hopped with fruity pepples.

I tried a flight of beers from the local brew pub in Anaconda, Montana a while back. Their theme was fruit, every beer had peaches or apricots or something in it. I didn't enjoy the flight at all, but as a former salesman I feel compelled to buy after taking up someone's time. So I bought a growler of one of their beers anyway. Needless to say that I didn't enjoy is anymore once I got it home.

I've only had 4 drain pours, so they all get my label as 'worst commercial beer'.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy- tasted like Pledge furniture polish
Rivertown Pestilence- smelled like puke... tasted like puke
Rivertown War- way over smoked. Tasted like chewing on a cigar
Sam Adams Triple Bock- tasted like soy sauce

My worst, and couldn't finish beer, was Leinenkugel Berry Weiss. It tasted like Fruity Pebbles soaked in the mash. WAY too sweet and a fake berry flavor.

I'm not sure it counts as a "craft" brew but Pyramid Ales are definitely commercial nowadays. Anyway, I had a Pyramid IPA at a friends party and I've got to say it was pretty bad. I never buy Pyramid beer as I don't expect much from them, but last nights brew was definitely a C-.

I really like dogfish beers although the 90 minute ipa is a little over the top. I even drank the midas touch. But Tweason'ale has to be the most god awfull stuff they have ever made. It taste like someone drank a bottle of boones farm and the puked it right into my bottle. I mean seriously dont they taste it before sending it out?

DFH raisin D'etre (sp) absolutely terrible. Matter of fact I don't like much DFH. I know I am alone with that though.

I live in Milton and a lot of their stuff is a miss. Although I have my staples I always return to.

Dfh 60 minute is pretty good. I think a lot of beers have too much going on flavor wise. A lot of different flavors with no single one dominating and they end up clashing.

I had a 3 Floyd's beer @ the oakpark micro brew and food review. They said it was an India Brown Ale and it tasted like a hopped up tobler orange.

The more I read these threads the more I wonder how a brewery like Southern Tier makes it. One of there's not mentioned and tops on my list is Unearthly IIPA. As with every ST beer comment here , too sweet and almost undrinkable.

Why do they have to make everything so goddamn sweet!?!

Shipyards Pumpkinhead - Tastes like spicy apple celery.

Little back story: My friend was raving about it ever since he realized fall was around the corner. We went on a pumpkin ale binge for a while and bought all and any pumpkin beers we happen to stumble upon in our local stores. Each and every time he would drink another brand he would say "Not as good as shipyard". This went on for about a month before we happen to be in a store that had it. He had amped this beer up so much that we practically skipped home to try it. I tried it, I hated it. I told him what I thought about it and I think it offended him because ever since then he has been calling me a beer snob. :D

Almost everything I've tried from Southern Tier I've been less than impressed with. I've had Mokah, Pumpking, 2XIPA, and Hop Sun.

It is funny to see this many Sam Adams beers on here. I always liked the company idea and their message etc. but darned if I ever liked ANY of their beers.

The more I read these threads the more I wonder how a brewery like Southern Tier makes it. One of there's not mentioned and tops on my list is Unearthly IIPA. As with every ST beer comment here , too sweet and almost undrinkable.

Why do they have to make everything so goddamn sweet!?!

I guess this shows (aside from technical skill) it is in the eye of the beer holder. The UnEarthy is my 2nd favourite beet of all time, second only to the Sebago Full Throttle IIPA.

Magic Hat #9. Could not stand it. Sam Adams recent summer beer tasted like bandaids to me. Another one I just could not finish was Samichlaus. Way too sweet. Funny thing is one of guilty pleasure beers is Wild Blue. Go figure.

While shipyard pumpkin head is dreadful, it takes a back seat to two pale ales: headwater from victory and the (aptly named) misery bay from Erie. Those two pales ales are positively awful.

Dragon's Milk. without a doubt worst I've had.

That Wild Blue stuff mentioned earlier is pretty bad as well depending what flavor you get. they make like 4 of them.

Had a door county shipwreck cherry wheat. I dont say this often but that beer was bad. I will not have that one again. It was so bad I even dump a quarter of what was left in the grass. Glad I didt pay for it.

Dfh pumpkin ale. I saw posts about people wanting to brew pumpkin ales so I thought I would give it try. If that was indicative of the style it's not for me.

Definitely the voodoo for number one, ghost face killa is a number two. Enough people have said enough things about the former, the latter is just a **** ton of chiles in a lager. Whoopdy doo.

I've had a couple of bad beers in recent times. One was called Black Helicopter Coffee Stout. Tasted watery and slightly fruity. Awful stuff. The other was Leinenkugel's Big Eddy Scotch Ale last winter. Extremely fruity (like cherries), sweet and cloying, just.... bad. Blech!

Yep.

The Voodoo Bacon Ale is OK. It's way too smoky, but that didn't stop me from finishing it.

Wow. I'll commend you for finishing it. I took two gulps and the folks I had try it took a sip or two each. Definitely poured out over 75% of the bottle. To each his own. :)

And speaking of which, there's multiple brews/breweries where I enjoy the beer and others hate it. Southern Tier is one of my faves, as far as imperials go. However, I do agree that some are needlessly sweet.

Let's keep it going. It's quite interesting to see how different supposed beer snobs opinions can be.

kylevester said:
Let's keep it going. It's quite interesting to see how different supposed beer snobs opinions can be.

Keep in mind that distributers, retailers, and servers can and will have a negative impact on the quality of commercially produced beer.

I once had a server tell me she liked our (1997 GABF Bronze medal winner) Hefe. She said she liked to serve it with a shot of butterscotch schnapps. Poured it right in.

Back