infection??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tandpbrewing

Reaction score
Before bottling I had a white film on the top of my hefe (which i left in the carboy far too long), looked gross, but from seeing pictures on here i tried my best to siphon from under it, and it tasted fine (not that good but I think its from not controlling the temps enough on the hefe yeast) I thought I was good but today I cracked open a bottle to check on carbs and sure enough the white is back, it looks like little white flakes. I am assuming this is an infection of some sort, should i be dumping this? I'm disappointed because this was a split batch with a raspberry hefe and it had the white **** too (not as bad) but i'm assuming it will be in those bottles as well, and it tasted good at bottling...

here is a bad pic of what i see, always floats.
p1000169av8.jpg

Could be little bits of dried yeast. Even if it is mold, that's not as much of a bit deal as bacteria. If it tastes OK go ahead and bottle it.

Try it before you dump it! There are no known substances that can live in beer that are harmful to human health, at least not in small quantities.

tandpbrewing said:
Well I already did that, and then bottled, and now its in the bottles...

If I were you, I'd keep a close eye on the bottles - open one a few times a week at least, to make sure they aren't turning into gushers - because the next step after that is bottle bombs. And look for the telltale white ring around the neck of the bottles. Other than that, drink it if it tastes good.

I do have the ring, that picture was from one out of a bottle, so I know that they are infected, but they don't seem to be bad tasting, they are nasty looking though....

drink them through a straw maybe??

I don't think I could handle that.

Yeah, that looks an awful lot like an infection. It does look like mold, like the others, said, so you may be in big trouble. I don't have a lot of experience with mold, fortunately, but from what I hear, siphoning under it is a crapshoot. You cant see how far it goes down, and the spores may settle even further.

Drink it young. When it goes to pot, dump it, say a prayer, and try again. Welcome to the fun of homebrewing. :)

TL

Back