Did I mess it up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Passload

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch ever today(extract). I followed the instructions to the letter, but when I sparged the wort my colander fell in to it and lost all the collected trub. I thought what the heck and pitched the yeast ( the wort was at pitching temp). About an hour later I got worried and dumped the wort in to a nother fermenting bucket using a better strainer. It collected all the sediment.

My question is did I mess the hole batch up by doing what I did? Did I loose my yeast?

As long as everything was properly sanitized, then you're fine...the double dumping probably even helped with aeration. Relax and have a brew.

Yeah, I was waiting for someone who knew whether or not the yeast might be caught in the strainer, but thinking more about it, it seems unlikely that enough would get caught in there to stop it from fermenting. I think you're fine, as long as you sanitized, which EP already mentioned.

Passload said:
but when I sparged the wort my colander fell in to it and lost all the collected trub. I thought what the heck and pitched the yeast ( the wort was at pitching temp).

I had a similar problem when I did my first batch. The mesh strainer inside my funnel clogged so badly, that I completely omitted it. Needless to say that I had a lot of trub. The brew came out fine.

But I think I have the problem under control now. Once the wort is cooled and still in the brew pot, I give it a good stirr (whirpooling effect) and let it sit covered for about 20 min. In that time, most of the cold break, hot break and hops will have settled. When I then siphon, I have hardly anything that makes it into the strainer and much less trub.

Kai

Same kinda thing happened to me yesterday... I did not loose it but the strainer kept clogging up and I'm sure I have a lot of trub. So this seems like a common challenge.

So what do folks do about it? Larger strainer... paper strainer (like a coffe filter)?

Before I installed a bazooka filter in my kettle, I used a conical colander. It has a hook on one end and a long handle, so I just set it on top of the bucket. I got most of the big stuff.

Now I use it to juice berries & such.

I picked up an adjustable mesh strainer which I use while sparging to strain and pick up the larger particles. It has slide out arms on each side, and sits flat on top of my catch kettle. Works good!

I use a nylon strainer net on my primary that I pour my wort through. When it gets full (and heavy) the elastic loosens and the net plopped right into the primary. Aarrrggghhh!:mad:

Now I use those small spring-type clamps on the net in 4 places. The net doesn't fall in anymore.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
I use a nylon strainer net on my primary that I pour my wort through. When it gets full (and heavy) the elastic loosens and the net plopped right into the primary. Aarrrggghhh!:mad:

Now I use those small spring-type clamps on the net in 4 places. The net doesn't fall in anymore.:D

your so crafty :drunk:

Latest posts

Back