Any brewers in the Bristow/Manassas Va area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in for the kegerator sample...originally it was supposed to be spread out over two days...but then I bought the yeast and the weather sucked

I like my beer but I keep learning something from every batch...I would love to move from the teet to a bottle

Lesson last month...yeast don't live forever
Lesson this month #1...sanitation is über important (had spontaneous fermentation in my sour before I pitched...not really worried it is a sour)
Lesson this month #2...I can't convert quarts to gallons to save my life

I should be starting my second batch soon. I'm going to order some kegging equipment tonight, so that next weekend I can get a reading and hopefully keg my first batch try to bottle 6.
I'm just glad the previous owner of my home left a full size fridge in the garage so I'll have plenty of room without the wife complaining about a keg in the kitchen. :) One of these days I'd like to try to turn it into a kegerator but I'm sure I'll need a second had for that.

Off to weigh my grain for tomorrows Alpha King Pale Ale clone. Wont be ready for the meeting on the 11th but I have Ruination for that.

Happy brewing to ya all.

Off to weigh my grain for tomorrows Alpha King Pale Ale clone. Wont be ready for the meeting on the 11th but I have Ruination for that.

Happy brewing to ya all.

Nice! I'd love to try that. That thread here has me inspired and it's second on my brew list. Next is a Gumballhead clone which I'm probably going to try and brew tomorrow. I've got a DFH 60 coming off a bed of Pacman tomorrow morning so I'm going to rinse that up and pitch it into the Gumballhead.

I think the only ones I'll have ready for the meet is the Not-So-Hopslam-Hopslam and a batch of Two-Hearted Ale.

Nice! I'd love to try that. That thread here has me inspired and it's second on my brew list. Next is a Gumballhead clone which I'm probably going to try and brew tomorrow. I've got a DFH 60 coming off a bed of Pacman tomorrow morning so I'm going to rinse that up and pitch it into the Gumballhead.

I think the only ones I'll have ready for the meet is the Not-So-Hopslam-Hopslam and a batch of Two-Hearted Ale.

A very good selection of brews indeed!

I too am making the two-hearted but a bit later on, my schedule is overwhelmed. DFH, I am making the 90 at some point and I will make certain you get a sample! Looking forward to the 11th, shall bring Rogue Shakespeare Stout clone among other samples, mainly IPAs though. Opinions are very welcomed here!

Happy brewing to ya.

REMINDER!!!! Wednesday is the day! I have the clubhouse starting at 7 so I'm thinking we should start around 7:15. I will have a cooler and or refrigerator to keep the homebrew cool. There has been a pretty large outpouring about the club. My one concern is that we will have a ton of people coming thinking there will be free beer. Are there any thoughts about holding tastings and swaps until the end? Also, is there a format or a subject matter anyone would like to see? I was thinking for the initial meeting we would have some sort of introductions, a bit about beer "history", basic brewing processes, and maybe a DIY presentation from one if the HBTers. I have never had to create an agenda for a new forum and would love some suggestions. The local response has been a bit overwhelming which I take with a grain of salt. Mostly novice or people interested in the craft. There met be 10 to 50 people.
Comments? Suggestions?
Thanks!!!!!

REMINDER!!!! Wednesday is the day! I have the clubhouse starting at 7 so I'm thinking we should start around 7:15. I will have a cooler and or refrigerator to keep the homebrew cool. There has been a pretty large outpouring about the club. My one concern is that we will have a ton of people coming thinking there will be free beer. Are there any thoughts about holding tastings and swaps until the end? Also, is there a format or a subject matter anyone would like to see? I was thinking for the initial meeting we would have some sort of introductions, a bit about beer "history", basic brewing processes, and maybe a DIY presentation from one if the HBTers. I have never had to create an agenda for a new forum and would love some suggestions. The local response has been a bit overwhelming which I take with a grain of salt. Mostly novice or people interested in the craft. There met be 10 to 50 people.
Comments? Suggestions?
Thanks!!!!!

GR8DA, this is how I would approach it:

I would state that each brewer should bring their own for the sample, the more they wish to sample, the more they should bring in return. I only think it would be fair. If some homebrewers wish to share more than they receive that is fine but the opposite would only only create a shortage for the rest.

I also think a lot of seasoned brewers may well show up. At any rate, I see this as a great chance to get together with other (mainly all grain) brewers and exchange ideas more than brewes, I am sure there are others that think alike.

On that note, if you want, Castle Black (myself and my roommate) can arrive slightly sooner to perhaps help out with the whole setup.

Happy brewing and let me know if you need anything more. See you soon.

I'm planning on bringing at least one full 2L of beer, perhaps two if I can get off my ass and chill the Two-Hearted clone in time enough for it to crash clear.

I think with only an hour and a half, and such a large crowd, we probably don't have time for real brewing content. I would think the following subjects would fit:

1. Introductions
2. Discussion on formalizing club (Name?, AHA association?, etc)
3. Venue, times, etc.
4. Inquiry on list of upcoming topics/demos/etc.
5. Volunteers for said topics/demos
6. Schedules/locations of informal "Brew Days" or those willing to have assistant brew masters in order to help novices learn, etc.
7. Social Tasting (End)

If there are more than say 10-15 people I think disorganization can happen fairly rapidly.

I like Scott's agenda, what will we do and how will we meet in the future?

At some point I would love to get into some kind of a web presence, but that may be rushing things a bit. My wife runs a group and uses meetup.com for instance, not sure if we need that or if we have a bored web person in the mix.

To gauge the level and type of club interest it may be useful to setup voting. I can set this up or help.
- DIY projects
- Brewing techniques ( could be like an hour at someone's house one night

I for one love to see how other people brew. I learn something every time.
- a way to sponsor / sign up for brew days ( either attend someone else's and/or have people to yours )
- group brew days

As far as samples I guess now I am concerned that 5 people will bring beer and 50 will drink. Should we have a bring a sample get a sample policy? Do we need to check ID's and do wristbands or something? Or limit the gathering to over 21 and check ID's at the door? Hate for this to turn ugly over serving a minor.

We hadn't planned to bring OR drink anything, but having re-read GR8DA's post (ADD is a plague) I'm not sure the honor system is going to work here.

We should start a sign-up or some sort...perhaps via Meetup.com or SurveyMonkey and a Facebook group (for those already using Facebook). It needs to be clear that this meeting is for those of legal drinking age and certainly not a keg party.

Another alternative is we bring a partial keg of hoppyish APA for the freeloaders. Brewed it for a sanitation check (no temp control, didn't try to clear it, etc.). Not representative work, but drinkable. Let me know...;p

Everyone has made a lot if great suggestions. Scott, I too like your agenda. I also agree that those who bring brew, get brew. I have a website we can use for the club but I am no webmaster so we will need someone to assist in setting it up. Keep the ideas coming and PM me if you want to talk directly.
Greg

GR8DA, I think I am being realistic when I think that most of the attendants will be there to network and exchange ideas with other homebrewers. I am glad you took the initiative to do this. I think there are things that interest most of us in the area such as group buys, specially when raw foods (grains etc...) are forecasted to rise along with a potential 2012 hop shortage.

I am looking forward to meeting with you and Scott and exchanging such ideas along with the usual tricks of the trade. Also, both me and my roommate (CastleBlack) are at your service for the set up of the event, do let us know.

Thanks again and happy brewing to ya.

Sorry in advance :
I will be bringing a hazelnut brown to the meeting. It's 10 days old. Gonna filter and force carb tomorrow so I don't show up empty handed. Who knows, maybe it won't kill us!

Sorry in advance :
I will be bringing a hazelnut brown to the meeting. It's 10 days old. Gonna filter and force carb tomorrow so I don't show up empty handed. Who knows, maybe it won't kill us!

Sounds fantastic, I will be bringing my Ruination its pretty young too but I will also be bringing some other experimental brews along with some IPAs.

Looking forward to doing this.

Happy brewing to ya.

pulled the two-hearted clone out of the cellar today where it's been keg-priming for two weeks. It was already dry-hopped but I wanted to drop in a keg-hopper before it hits the fridge to cold crash...

didn't quite make it in time before the nucleation (sp?) hit and lost about a pint or two of beer to the foaming monster. Usually I'm pretty good about chucking the bag in and catching the lid before it foams.

Anyway -- it's on gas and in the fridge cold crashing; will definitely be ready for Wed. since it's already primed up (though I'm sure I lost a decent amount of CO2 to the foam)

-S

pulled the two-hearted clone out of the cellar today where it's been keg-priming for two weeks. It was already dry-hopped but I wanted to drop in a keg-hopper before it hits the fridge to cold crash...

didn't quite make it in time before the nucleation (sp?) hit and lost about a pint or two of beer to the foaming monster. Usually I'm pretty good about chucking the bag in and catching the lid before it foams.

Anyway -- it's on gas and in the fridge cold crashing; will definitely be ready for Wed. since it's already primed up (though I'm sure I lost a decent amount of CO2 to the foam)

-S

I am sure its ll be just fine Scott. I am bringing some IPAs, recent ones and some experimental brews. I have a project going on this month called I.P.April, for the obvious reason. Courtesy of girlfriend Kate, her brain child. Other than that looking forward to meeting up with you and helpin out if needed. I am making two hearted too later on and was hoping to exchange ideas.

Other than that happy brewing to ya and see ya soon mate.

I am sure its ll be just fine Scott. I am bringing some IPAs, recent ones and some experimental brews. I have a project going on this month called I.P.April, for the obvious reason. Courtesy of girlfriend Kate, her brain child. Other than that looking forward to meeting up with you and helpin out if needed. I am making two hearted too later on and was hoping to exchange ideas.

oh it will be good, it's one of my goto recipes... it will just be a bit green but the extra OZ of centennial in the Keg will make up for that with some nice aroma.

I was soooo going to do the Ruination clone today but realized it was my last weekend to do my taxes as I've got the kids next weekend and doing anything with them around is tenious at best.

On the bright side both the Two-hearted and Oberon clones are now in the mini Kegerator inside. I finally have the pipeline going well enough to occupy all my taps.

Can't wait to finally meet everyone!

Hi All
I live in Lake Terrapin right off of Spriggs Rd in Woodbridge.
I like the idea of the get together, I will however not be able to attend :(
as I have scouts on Wen nights.
But I will stay tuned for further developments.

look who has arisen from the dead!! Whats up Mike. Eric and I have wondered what became of you.

Sheldon

Sheldon, you dont mean Eric P/si, do you?

I only say this since he is a good friend and beer-mentor of mine.

Happy brewing to ya, and let me say, I am glad Scott too this initiative, it will bring the lot of us together.

Sheldon
Life happened, I have been extremely tied up with work kids and all.
Haven't had time to stop and relax in months. Haven't brewed in months.
Plan to try something this month though hopefully.

Was referring to Eric Hedge. Sorry for any confusion. He said he would be there Wednesday night. He does have a nice cherry Belgium.

Sheldon

Looking forward to seeing everyone tonight. Can someone provide me the street address? I am still new to the area and my GPS is my best friend.

Whoever want to show at 7the is more than welcome. The clubhouse is being used before us so we probably won't have access until 7.
Thanks

Thank you everyone for making tonight such a success! It was so nice meeting each and everyone of you. I will have the email list done tommorrow so we can get things really cranking. Again, thanks to everyone. I am looking forward to a long and educational relationship!

Whoever want to show at 7the is more than welcome. The clubhouse is being used before us so we probably won't have access until 7.
Thanks

We will definitely be there. Thanks for this great gathering and perhaps next time we can set up a way to o some group buys of hops and malt.

Thanks again and see you on the 7th.

I think we probably had about 15 people by the end; that's a rough guess. All the beer was exceptional. We spent a good 20-30 minutes with people explaining their brews and passing them around the table.

There were some mighty big beers there too; by the end I was just taking a sip or two of each. I think we had several Imperial IPAs and one that was akin to a barley wine.

I wish we had the time to taste them all!

Thanks again Greg for putting this together!

Everyone hop on the Facebook group that Jeff created called "Bristow Home Brew"

For those of you who couldn't make it. The next meeting is May 9 at the Victory Lakes Clubhouse!

Back