Washed yeast first use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
So I used some washed yeast for the first time. It seems like it worked fine but there is yeast sitting on the sides of the carboy. I've let it sit in my primary for 2 weeks so far. Are these particles of yeast gonna drop or just hang out? I'm half tempted to throw it in my fridge and see if they drop.

I dunno, it just doesn't look right to me.

Stuff clings to the side of the carboy. A bunch of it will fall if you swirl. It's a non-issue. Don't reduce the temp unless you are sure (i.e. hydrometer reading tells you) the beer has stopped fermenting.

I have had batches that the side of the carboy that are completely coated and others with nothing on them. I always cold crash and I dont think it made much of a difference as for the coating on the carboy

hpz937 said:
I have had batches that the side of the carboy that are completely coated and others with nothing on them. I always cold crash and I dont think it made much of a difference as for the coating on the carboy

You mean the yeast never dropped from the sides?

correct, It just kind of stuck there. I mean it was very minimal amount, mostly just a glaze/dusting on the glass

Yeah that's what I got. Did you rack into secondary? Or just bottle/keg it after 3 weeks?

Back