imperial chrisrmas stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulielow

Reaction score
I want to make an imperial stout for next Christmas so it will have plenty of time to age but just want to double check my ingrediants as i'll be doing a toucan extract kit.

1 coopers stout can
1 coopers dark ale can
2kg light dme
500g corn syrup(for viscosity)
1 sachet us-05(cause that's what was suggested I use in my last stout)
2 teabags cascade hops( 1 per fermenter i'll be using two so there's no blow off)

I haven't decided if i want to add fruit and spices to this to make it more christmassy or if this recipe will be bold enough after 10 months of aging.

Thanks for any feedback.

My best stout was similar to this and was in the bottle for about 8 months after a 2 week primary.
Are the hops for dry hoppping? Have you thought of a hop addition for aroma and flavor? Boil dme for 20 mins and add an oz of hops as soon as it shows signs of boil. Then stir in lme and corn syrup at flameout to dissolve. Cool and top up.

Should be good for next Xmas.

Cheers!

I haven't done any boils yet so I might give it a go,is it all the same hops just put in at different times? thanks

My recipe was something like this:

1 1.7kg tin Coppers Stout Hopped LME
1 1.5kg tin Coopers Dark LME
1kg amber DME
1kg brown sugar
1 oz Cascade hops (6% AA)
1 packet Coopers yeast

I boiled the dme and sugar for 30 mins in 8L of water, added the 1oz cascade 10 mins into the boil and boiled for 20 minutes

add the rest of the LME at flameout and stir until dissolved

Then I cooled in an ice bath for about 20 mins, strained into fermenter and topped to
23L w/ cold water

Pitched yeast at 24C and fermented for 2 weeks at 20C

Bottled it and waited (actually forgot I had it until 8 months later)

Ok thanks jmpr i'll give it a go.. do you remember what the O.G. was on this brew?

I would use the Brown sugar instead of the corn syrup.

I ended up puting 1kg of brown sugar in my last stout and its still got a really full on molassesy flavour that I'd like to avoid in this brew... And I've done my first boil now ill be stepping up to steeping next so I'll probably use some choc malt and some fuggles at 60min, 30min and 5min

Back