best sausage recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strat_thru_marshall

Reaction score
I just got a meat grinder and sausage stuffer attachment for the stand mixer for Christmas, so I ask of all you:

What are you best sausage recipes? I want to try some Italian sausage, Bratwurst, and any other fresh sausage recipes!!

I've never made my own sausage, so I am going to start searching online for some recipes but I would also love to hear from my fellow brewers who have experience with this if you're willing to share.

Thanks!

Here is an authentic German recipe for cooked bratwurst. It was translated from my wife's grandmother's cooking school recipes from 1909. You can increase the recipe size in equal amounts to any size you wish.

3.5 lbs pork (be sure there's some fat on it)
1.5 lbs veal
5 eggs
2 tbs salt (I use kosher salt)
1 tbs black pepper
1.5 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp coriander
.5 cup grated onion
1 cup ice water

Grind all meat through the finest plate on your meat grinder, then mix in all of the other ingredients. For the best results, place the mixture in the refrigerator for a while (up tp 8 hrs) then put through the grinder again (or for smoother texture put in the food processor until emulsified, but you will need to add a little more crushed ice to keep it cold) and stuff into casings.

Place the sausages in hot water (but do not cook) until they become firm, then let rest in warm milk for a while (I do this for about 20 mins). Cook until browned with some sliced onions and serve.

Moose

Christmas sausage:
1.5 lb. bacon
3.5 lb. pork shoulder

1 tbsp. ground black pepper
1 nutmeg, ground
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. allspice berries, ground
1 tsp. rubbed sage
1 tbsp. thyme
1 tsp. ground Sichuan pepper
1 c. cyser

Lamb sausage:
5 lb. lamb

1 c. finely chopped onion
1 tbsp. ground black pepper
3 tbsp. minced garlic
1 tbsp. kosher salt
0.33 c. chopped fresh mint
1 c. water

just FYI, i have heard that the 'stuffing' part of the KA attachment really sucks to use. i can attest that the grinder works great, not so much on the stuffer. and, do yourself a favor and get the book 'charcuterie', great read and has tons of good recipes in it.

just FYI, i have heard that the 'stuffing' part of the KA attachment really sucks to use. i can attest that the grinder works great, not so much on the stuffer. and, do yourself a favor and get the book 'charcuterie', great read and has tons of good recipes in it.

+1 billion on both of those.

I was given Rytek Kutas' book a few years back and its pretty good. I don't agree with everything he promotes but I have used multiple recipes from the book and they have turned out great. I think his brat recipe and Italian sauage recipe are both good, need to adjust the Italian recipe a little but it was very similar to the one passed down to me from my Father.
Link:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0025668609/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

+1. I still use my KA grinder, but the stuffing attachment is just too slow. Although, for an extra ten bucks it gets you into stuffing, so for someone on a very limited budget I'd still recommend it.

I was given Rytek Kutas' book a few years back and its pretty good. I don't agree with everything he promotes but I have used multiple recipes from the book and they have turned out great. I think his brat recipe and Italian sauage recipe are both good, need to adjust the Italian recipe a little but it was very similar to the one passed down to me from my Father.
Link:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0025668609/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

That is on my list of books to get.

+1. I still use my KA grinder, but the stuffing attachment is just too slow. Although, for an extra ten bucks it gets you into stuffing, so for someone on a very limited budget I'd still recommend it.

I couldn't even get it to do that. I would have been better off just using a funnel and stuffing it by hand.

I will probably be getting this one. You need to be careful with it though since it is plastic gears, but for the price I can deal with that.

What kind of stuffer do people recommend?

The KA stuffer worked for me, but it would take two of us to do it. My wife would feed the meat, while I coaxed it into the casings. The problem is that there is no real hopper, so you don't get much meat in at a time.

I now use a three pound horn, it's inexpensive and easy to use and clean. I like being able to just push on the handle to push the meat through. I've done 60lbs of meat at a time with it, no problem. But I also like being able to do a small batch, <5lbs, with minimal clean up or effort.

I've never used the larger handcrank type, so I really can't speak to those. I just assume there are more parts to disassemble and clean.

Moose

thanks for all the great info everyone, I'm going to try my first batch of hot Italian sausage this weekend and I am looking forward to trying the other recipes you guys posted soon!!

Any recommendations as to what type of casings to use?

Place the sausages in hot water (but do not cook) until they become firm, then let rest in warm milk for a while (I do this for about 20 mins). Cook until browned with some sliced onions and serve.

Moose

Thank you for the recipe, this looks awesome. One question though, if you plan on making the sausages and then freezing them for later use do you put them in hot water and then warm milk prior to storage, or just prior to cooking?

Thank you for the recipe, this looks awesome. One question though, if you plan on making the sausages and then freezing them for later use do you put them in hot water and then warm milk prior to storage, or just prior to cooking?

I've always cooked them the same day. But I think you would be fine to put them in the warm water prior to freezing, and in milk before cooking.

Moose

as far as the stuffers go, i would definitely get the hand crank one. my folks got me a curved tube manual handle one for christmas and it was a pain to use. it got the job done, but after a while, it was getting to be a PITA, meat slipping out the sides of the piston, lots of air bubbles into the casing, etc. so i swapped it out for one like dataz posted, except with metal gears. i haven't used that one yet, but from all i've researched, that is the way to go.

Latest posts

Back