What can I use these for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
I am in the middle of "finishing" my basement. I say "finishing" because I have a 90 year old house and the ceilings are only 7 ft before you add duct work and plumbing. The end result will be an office for me since I work from home and we had a baby 4 months ago and he took over what was my office, then my wife got laid off about a month ago and I can't work with her and the baby in the other room so I'm moving to the basement. Walls and floors have been stripped to the block and concrete, walls drylok'd and floor resurfaced. Drain line cut in and run in concrete for brew sink, and new stairs.

Now to the what can I use these for. I have my old furnace, a dehumidifier with a busted fan, and a perfectly good 5000 btu window unit just taking up space down there. What can I use these things for in my brewing? I am not a lager fan so there's no need for lagering temps. I have a kegerator fridge with freezer on top. Any suggestions on what to use these things for? I am going to be piecing together an electric brew rig over the next year. Thanks for any input!

I'd say use the window air conditioner for a fermentation chamber (doesn't have to be for lagers or even get to laggering temperatures). I'd say look at using the burner and pilot assembly from the furnace to heat your kettle or HLT but since you're going all electric soon I'm not sure that it is worth the trouble to take apart the furnace.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I will be pulling apart the furnace for the blower fan to either use it as a hood fan, or a paint booth fan in the garage when I use laquer and other things for woodworking. I wonder if the exhaust fan for the furnace would work in the ferm chamber to move air around better. I saw someone on here used the dehumidifier in their ferm chamber which would cut down on space. Too many projects too little time!

Back