After two weeks, my gravity is too high. More yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmojo

Reaction score
It's been two weeks and two days in the fermenter... As I mentioned in a previous posts, I've had problems keeping the temps low, I know for a fact they got way too high a couple of times, I've probably been hovering just around 74 or so, but I know it got up to at at least 81 once. Also, when I moved the bucket, the airlock started bubbling again. Now that it's stopped, I checked the gravity...

1.025. I believe I started with 1.054. Should I pitch more yeast, give it another week? I'm about to buy a secondary, and we've got a cold snap.

What yeast did you use?

At 81°F it shouldn't kill the yeast but it's not optimal and it could cause estery flavours(fruity)

I'd watch the temp and give it a good shake. Check in 3 days. If nothing happens then I pitch a yeast again.

Sounds like a stuck fermentation.

If your yeast has worked, as yours has, then you should have more than enough yeast to finish out the fermentation.

Give the fermenter a swirl a couple of times. Chances are you just need to rouse it from the bottom. You could also just sanitize a spoon and give it a stir.

It's only when you get no activity that one should add more yeast.

Of course, there's nothing saying you can't add more if you wanted to.

Your FG should be about 1.013 when it's done.

I keep Nottingham in the fridge for just such occasions. Rousing the yeast might help, though.

Latest posts

Back