Looking for a cheaper price on bulk DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devaspawn

Reaction score
The cheapest I've found so far is at Midwestsupplies.com. They have 55# boxes for like $ 140 before shipping and they'll ship it to me for $29. Anybody know of anyone else cheaper than $169 for a 55# box of bulk DME?

Thanks,

:tank:

Gotta throw this out there - you could always consider going AG... Bulk grain in 55lb sacks costs me about $1/lb shipped, and your AG equipment could likely pay for itself on the first purchase...

$133.44 shipped my my Zip Deva, should be the same for you.

Deva's like me in that neither of us has the room to set up an AG rig yet. My current setup can handle 7lbs of grain, so I still need to use a few lbs of DME to make up the difference.

JSMCGARY you f-in' :rockin:

That is by far the Cheapest I have seen by far!!!

I want to go AG but until I finish my basement and then build my brew room, PM may be where I end up having to be for awhile.

devaspawn said:
JSMCGARY you f-in' :rockin:

That is by far the Cheapest I have seen by far!!!

I want to go AG but until I finish my basement and then build my brew room, PM may be where I end up having to be for awhile.

Why do you need to wait to go AG? What size pot do you have? You are already doing a PM so do you have a mash tun? As long as you have one pot big enough for full boils and a mash tun your set.. Keep your water heated in the pot, mash your grains and sparge into a temporary 5 gallon bucket. When you get hit your target amount of wort just empty the pot of water and add your wort. Away you go..

6 gallon pot. :( Also, I am currently only doing extract and SWMBO is going to flip if I bring in all the equipment that I don't have for AG. I have to do this piecemeal. :(

MoreBeer offers free shipping on some sizes of their DME.

There 12 pound buckets qualify.

If your order adds up to more than $60.00, the S&H is free.

It figures out to be about $2.30 per pound, delivered.

Pogo

MoreBeer offers free shipping on some sizes of their DME.

There 12 pound buckets qualify.

If your order adds up to more than $60.00, the S&H is free.

It figures out to be about $2.30 per pound, delivered.

Pogo

That's for liquid malt extract not dried, but that's the route I go for PM brews. There stuff is really fresh.

I stand corrected!

Man!...I was stone cold sober when I bookmarked those pages, too!

I've yet to place an order with MoreBeer.

I was working up a source on bulk DME, also.

Guess I'll have to start all over.

Pogo

MidCountry Malt supply in the Chicago area has DME for $98 for 50 pounds, UPS to Michigan added about $12-14. That's cheap!

Just called them at 518-298-2300 and confirmed Breiss Pale DME 50# for $98 plus shipping. That's awesome! I pay $17/3# at my closest store :mad: Although I can drive another 15 min and get it for $12. Still looking at 50# and w/ the money I save I may buy a vacuum sealer to break it up.

Gotta throw this out there - you could always consider going AG... Bulk grain in 55lb sacks costs me about $1/lb shipped, and your AG equipment could likely pay for itself on the first purchase...

:off:

Not trying sound like a jerk so don't take this that way. But why do people come into the extract section and talk about going AG? This section exists separate from the All-Grain section for a reason.

"Christian," I'm an extract brewer, but I'm not sure what was said earlier about AG is off-topic. The individuals who brought it up as an alternative weren't trying to change the subject TO AG, and once the individuals explained why they couldn't, that was that. I see no reason for contention here

"Christian," I'm an extract brewer, but I'm not sure what was said earlier about AG is off-topic. The individuals who brought it up as an alternative weren't trying to change the subject TO AG, and once the individuals explained why they couldn't, that was that. I see no reason for contention here

And there is no contention meant, please re-read my post. My question is off topic as it does not deal with the original one. My question is just that, a question. I am just baffled by how many times here in the extract section there are always people who post saying that they are AG brewers and that everyone should go AG. Me personally i started out AG but prefer extracts and partials, there is a reason why there are different sections on the board. So my original question still stands, "why do people come into the extract section and talk about going AG?"

I've run into this a few times looking for clone recipes. The all grain brewer's reply is a post with a link for an all grain recipe in an extract forum thread. Thanks! A extract version was what I was looking for, they could just post an extract conversion recipe , give a link to beersmith, or just not post at all. I am not sure if they think they are really helping or if they are just aggresively trying to convert everyone to all grain.
It's an EXTRACT forum!

Hi All,
I am an extract brewer. That's why I am surfing this forum.
I am interested in saving money. That's why I clicked on this thread.
And yes I am a noob. That's why I brew with extract.
So, if someone suggests a way for an extract brewer to save money is to
use grain then it would seem to be on topic.
I'm not trying to stir up trouble. It is just that I wouldn't know about that aspect of brewing if it was not mentioned in the forums that I frequent.
I will allways be brewing with extract because it is fast and easy.
I am going to try all grain or partial grain in order to save money.
Again, I'm not trying to start a controversy. I'm just saying that maybe
a suggestion to use grain may be an attempt to help extract brewers,
not to change them.
Baru

I just found this while doing a surf today. I don't know about you guys, but this is about as good as it gets. I don't know how expensive the shipping is, or what the minimum is for this, but $2.25/lb for Breiss DME is the best I've seen, other than the 50# orders from the place in Chicago.

Larrys' Brewing Supply in Kent, WA - http://www.larrysbrewsupply.com/catalog_c47159.html

I just found this while doing a surf today. I don't know about you guys, but this is about as good as it gets. I don't know how expensive the shipping is, or what the minimum is for this, but $2.25/lb for Breiss DME is the best I've seen, other than the 50# orders from the place in Chicago.

Larrys' Brewing Supply in Kent, WA - catalog - Bulk Malt Extract

Actually I think thats LME

Damn, I made this mistake too!

Well, if something seems too good to be true, it probably is, eh?

No problem, I started looking round the site after you posted and barely noticed it myself.

DME is closer to 3.17 there though sadly.

Anyone in chicago wanna split a 50 lb bag?

i dont know, seems like dmemart is cheaper since they have free shipping.

i mentioned it in other threads but it still hasnt caught on, north country malt is the cheapest

DMEmart 18 pounds DME= $71.94

www.austinhomebrew.com 18 pounds DME= $63.99

and only $7.99 flat rate shipping. So if you want more items than DME you don't pay any additional shipping than $7.99

Many people are fooled by the free shipping offer. It doesn't make it a better deal.

Forrest

sorry, austin is correct. i was refering to this point without actually visiting dmemart.com

If you want DME prepackaged and low cost, DMEmart.com does a pretty good job. 3Lbs $10.89 - you gotta buy 18 pounds at a wack, but they ship it free.

if 3lbs were 10.89 with free shipping, 18 pounds would be (6*10.89)=$65.34

but if you visit the website, 18pounds is $71.94, or $11.97 per 3pounds

MidCountry Malt supply in the Chicago area has DME for $98 for 50 pounds, UPS to Michigan added about $12-14. That's cheap!

2nd that -- they have a horrible website and you have to do it by phone, but I just ordered 50LB briess pilsen light DME for $98+17.50 tax to mid OH.

That's $2.31/# to my door!

I think the explanation on this place is that they aren't so much a homebrew mega mart as they are a true super-bulk distributor (to major micro-breweries including dogfish head), hence the minimal customer service but best prices.

anyone know if midcountry has any other kinds of dme besides light and pilsen?

anyone know if midcountry has any other kinds of dme besides light and pilsen?

When I called and talked to them yesterday they did not. That was North Country, but I'm pretty sure its consistent across the board. You can generally achieve the desired flavors and color from amber and dark dme with steeping grains. If you don't have beersmith, Brewmasters Warehouse's Brew Builder would be an excellent source for you to go and attempt to figure out how much grain to use. Searching the forums here will turn up which dark grains are in amber and dark, as I cant remember them off the top of my head.

Yeah, using x-light dme and the appropriate steeped or mini-mashed specialty grains is definately the way to go for extract brewing.

Apparently the breiss pilsen dme here is even lighter than xl -- for those saisons/pilseners/golden ales, yet you can still get your stouts dark as they need to be with all that steeped choc,crystal, and roasted barley malts

Yeah, using x-light dme and the appropriate steeped or mini-mashed specialty grains is definately the way to go for extract brewing.

Apparently the breiss pilsen dme here is even lighter than xl -- for those saisons/pilseners/golden ales, yet you can still get your stouts dark as they need to be with all that steeped choc,crystal, and roasted barley malts

Do you think this will affect flavor?

Do you think this will affect flavor?

-------------------

If you mean the choice of light/xl/pils DME + steeped/partial mashed grain vs. using amber and dark DME, then I say only to look at any All Grain recipe here. You'll see that you only need a small amount of specialty grains and a majority of base malt -- so just use your light DME as a sub for base malt and steep/partial mash the specialties for greatest control and authenticity (as opposed to guessing the specialty malt content and character of generically specialty malted amber, and dark DMEs).

--------------------------

If you're instead referring to the choice of pilsen vs. light or x-light DME as a substitute for the base malt in traditional all-grain recipes . . . Well, yea, that will affect flavor a bit too.

A look at other similar threads seems to conclude that if you are going the extract and steep route and going for as much authenticity as possible, then you'd want to use pilsen DME for recipes that call for pilsen malt, and light/xl DME for those calling for plain old 2-row (breiss for american and munton's for british, if you wanna get pickier). This makes sense because Briess Pilsen DME is made from pilsen malt and some carapils, whereas their light (called "golden light") is made from "base malt" (american 2-row, no doubt) and some carapils.

I personally can only justify buying one 50# bag at this point, and I do like me some saisons and tripels, both of which will benefit from the lighter color (and traditionally use pils), so I'm going with the pilsen and using it for my American IPAs as well, adding some steeped crystal (which i'd do with the light stuff anyway).

I suppose that if you knew you weren't doing any super light pilsen beers, and you specifically were looking for british or american 2-row extract, then you might pay a little extra for the DME that best suits your brews. I question how much it matters though in darker brews where a higher amount of the malt flavor and color is coming from the specialty grains anyway.

$2.31/# is plenty of reason for me personally to pick the one DME and adapt with specialty grains!

Great explanation.

I went with the pilsen, mostly because that was all they had. I cant wait to have this quantity on hand to brew whenever I want!

Just pulled the trigger on 50LBS of Pilsen Light from NorthCountry Malt, after shipping it's 2.40/lb! Shipping was $22.00 to NE Ohio. I'm hoping shipping doesn't take but a day or so.

I went bulk awhile back and it's great. Cut the cost in half for my brews. I do a lot of IPA's, which means that I have a lot of hop expense, so if I can save on DME then it's worth it. MidCountry is fast shipping, very nice price, and the product is great. It comes in a big bag, that I then split up into 3# and 4# bags (I use 7# per recipe usually, so I get 7 batches from a bag of malt). It works well. I just got my 2nd bag in the mail the other day - time to make a homebrew

I'm new to brewing. Done one batch. Wife got me a brew kit for my Bday/Xmas. I did a Coopers Stout. It came out really good and had a 7.73%AC. I used regular granulated sugar. I've read stuff that suggests using corn sugar and have seen recipes that only have DME. I've read other articles that say to use dextrose at ~10% of DME per weight. It's all a lil confusing for a beginner. What are the pros/cons and which is most cost efficient?

Table sugar and corn sugar in your brew will raise the ABV but adds no body, it tends to make it seem pretty thin. Makes it taste a lot like BMC IMHO!!! Oh, and honey too!

Larrys' Brewing Supply in Kent, WA - http://www.larrysbrewsupply.com/catalog_c47159.html

I tried to order here, the shipping and handling on 20 lbs was going to be just over $30.

I just did a quick google search and found this site: http://labelpeelers.com/

Here you can get 176 lbs of DME for $292.01 coming out to $1.66 / lb
They also have 640 lbs for $814.05 coming out to $1.27 / lb!

Granted I have not tried to buy these so I don't know if they are really in stock but they are listed there! If I had a big enough place to store 176 lbs I would totally buy it. Instead I have been buying 50 lbs from North Country for $121 coming out to $2.42 / lb.

Back