Whirlpool Electrique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menschmaschine

Reaction score
Surely someone has thought of this, but I thought I'd post it anyway. I found it a pain to whirlpool by hand after cooling down the wort, so I came up with this. All that goes into it is a crank from a barley crusher with the non-threaded hole drilled out larger (~1/2") and a plastic mash paddle cut short.

The test run (in cleaning water from yesterday's brew) produced a nice whirlpool and a neat pile of sediment at the bottom/center.

100_0776.jpg

100_0779.jpg

How difficult is it to hold the drill? And, are drills designed to handle that much angular torque? Just thinking out loud...

I was able to rest the drill (battery) on the keg rim and it's not bad. If it's not rested on anything, it's not easy to hold straight, but not impossible. As for torque, I was surprised myself... it cut through it like butter.

Why not add another paddle but have them on a shorter arm by a couple of inches? This way you would be more balanced with less bicycle crank wobble action is my way of thinking, JMO's.

Why not add another paddle but have them on a shorter arm by a couple of inches? This way you would be more balanced with less bicycle crank wobble action is my way of thinking, JMO's.

That's an even better idea. This is just what I came up with for the materials I had handy.

Back