Bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkeydude

Reaction score
Will bitterness eventually settle out of an aged beer?
I just kegged a honey amber ale that was in the primary for 5 weeks. I used 1/2 oz of Galena hops at the beginning of the boil. Finished with 1oz of Fuggles the last 2 minutes of the boil (per instructions) I smell no hops in the aroma and it is REALLY bitter. So much so, that it overpowers the flavor.
I used Fermcap (couple of drops) on this batch and I have heard that it will add extra bitterness.
This isn't the bitterness you would get with an over hoppy beer but, like a bitter coffee almost.
Any insight?

Yes, hops bitterness will fade quite a bit. I heard on a podcast today, it's possible to lose 50% of hops bitterness in 6 months. Probably depends on a lot of things though. And not sure about bitterness causes by something other than hops.

I read on one of the supply sites that the fermcap would add 10% bitterness. I guess it still needs to age a bit...couldn't wait!!

Back