LP Valve issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67coupe390

Reaction score
I'm having valve issues and am wondering if I'm using the wrong valve. This HVACR > Controls > Gas Valves > Valve,Combination : Grainger Industrial Supply is what I am using. The problem is that the valve will not always shut off when the controller tells it to. When the controller ( A cal 9900 CAL 9900 Temperature Controller ) calls for heat a light will come on and when it is suppose to turn off the valve the light goes off. I hear the solnoid click on and off but the valve doesn't always turn the gas off. My setup is this I'm using a 20 psi regulator hooked up to a 20lbs ( ? ) propane tank. This is plumbed into a 1/2" black pipe manifold that feeds all three burners in my rig. The HLT and the boil burners have just ball valves. The mash tun burner has a ball valve and the combo valve. This problem happens even when just the mash tun burner is going Any ideas? Thanks. :confused:

The valve you have installed is only meant for 1/2 PSI maximum inlet pressure, if you are operating at 10-20 PSI the valve will probably not want to work at all. You have two choices, drill out the burner jets for low pressure operation and use low pressure regulator (11" wc) or replace existing valve with solenoid valve.

The valve you have installed is only meant for 1/2 PSI maximum inlet pressure, if you are operating at 10-20 PSI the valve will probably not want to work at all. You have two choices, drill out the burner jets for low pressure operation and use low pressure regulator (11" wc) or replace existing valve with solenoid valve.

What size would I drill out the burner jets to for low pressure? Then I could use this http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/7850_propane_regulator.htm I thought I saw someone on the forum with a furnace style valve, can it be modified to work with 20 psi? This is the burners I'm using http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/bg14_cast_iron_burner.htm

If you look at the specs on the Grainger web page you will find:

Pressure Setting Range (In. WC) 2.5 to 5.0

If you convert 2.5 to 5.0 Water Columb to Pounds/Square Inches it is 0.09 to 0.18 PSI. You were feeding a valve rated for 0.18 PSI with 20 PSI. Not very safe!!!

Use Online Conversion - Pressure Conversion to convert WC to PSI

What size would I drill out the burner jets to for low pressure? Then I could use this Propane Regulators, PSI Adjustable Propane Regulator I thought I saw someone on the forum with a furnace style valve, can it be modified to work with 20 psi? This is the burners I'm using Propane Cast Iron Burners, High Pressure Cast Iron Banjo Burner

That is not a low pressure regulator. You will never be able to set that regulator low enough for your valve to work properly if you have not damaged it already. You need a regulator that is rated at less than 5 WC.

If you look at the specs on the Grainger web page you will find:

Pressure Setting Range (In. WC) 2.5 to 5.0

If you convert 2.5 to 5.0 Water Columb to Pounds/Square Inches it is 0.09 to 0.18 PSI. You were feeding a valve rated for 0.18 PSI with 20 PSI. Not very safe!!!

Use Online Conversion - Pressure Conversion to convert WC to PSI

Thats a good conversion site. Thanks! For Lp on this valve its 7.5" to 12 " which would be almost 1/2 psi. Is there a way to modify the valve to close/work at 20 psi?

You will have lots of difficulty setting a 0 to 30 PSI regulator for 0.18 PSI. How are you going to know when the regulator is set for 0.18?

I am not an expert. I use low pressure natural gas using a Honeywell Y8610U intermittent ignition setup controlled by a PID. I get quite a bit of heat as my burners are 65000 btu on my brewstand. I know very little about propane. Check out this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/propane-solenoid-valve-help-94916/. Kladue knows more about the subject and has in the past answered my questions.

Here you can see what I do with different brand valves.
My LP regulator is a low pressure out 0.5PSI, works with all commercial gas valves (to my knowledge).
All my gas valves are equipped with the same regulator.
Beer Beer sells the regulator as pictured.
After you install the low pressure regulator to the gas valve, the gas valve out
pressure needs to be adjusted to give you a nice burner flame.

100_5060.jpg

100_5059-1.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Here you can see what I do with different brand valves.
My LP regulator is a low pressure out 0.5PSI, works with all commercial gas valves (to my knowledge).
All my gas valves are equipped with the same regulator.
Beer Beer sells the regulator as pictured.
After you install the low pressure regulator to the gas valve, the gas valve out
pressure needs to be adjusted to give you a nice burner flame.

100_5060.jpg

100_5059-1.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

So I can add this to my valve 36c03 honeywell ? Will my burner ( Propane Cast Iron Burners, High Pressure Cast Iron Banjo Burner )still work good.

Yes you can drill out the orifice for the banjo burner for use with low pressure lp, use a #36 or 7/64 drill bit to start and increase size if needed to max of 1/8". Check with member "Apparatus" as he has succesfully fired his system on low pressure lp using the same banjo burners after drilling out the high pressure orifices. The existing tubing on your system will not need to be changed because the runs are not long enough to add significant pressure drop.

I think I'm going to take the 36c03 valve out and replace it with a 8210g094 asco valve. I'll just have to be careful to watch for flameouts. I've never boiled over a mash tun and my burner is protected from the wind pretty good.

Latest posts

Back