Slow fermentation, when is it stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gluten

Reaction score
I've had my batch in the primary for 2 1/2 weeks now. I kept my first sample in a flip-top (lid on with no clamp) just so I could hydro it now and again. I did the same with my second sample at 1 1/2 weeks in.

That second sample is sticking at .020 and there is no airlock activity in the primary (I know both of these are not good indicators). I'm just wondering how long I should wait before I take a 3rd sample, determine whether or not it's stuck, and start taking measures to wake the yeasties up (if they are in fact stuck).

I'm using Nottingham on 6lb sorghum and 1lb honey. It's probably just the honey taking it's sweet time to ferment out, but even if that is the case my 60 degree F basement may be hampering the process.

So leave it be for another week, or take a sample soon so see if the primary matches the satellite, or move it to a warmer spot?

You are right about the honey, it takes a long long time to ferment. Just leave it be for at least another week before messing with it again. Warming it a bit won't hurt as long as it's not a huge temperature spike but you're probably fine as it, just needs time.

Satellite sampling often doesn't work. I would check the primary before coming to any conclusions. I would say it is stuck if the SG doesn't budge over a 3 or 4 day span and you are still a few points or more above your target FG.

Also, honey is pretty slow, yes. The first time I brewed with honey, it took 3 weeks to reach FG.

Back