My 2nd AG Brewday.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgbranch

Reaction score
Here are some pics of my 2nd All Grain Brewday. The recipe was the Bee Cave Rye IPA. Everything went great except my Doberman, "Grace" ate my Safale-05. Fortunately I had a Nottingham backup.
(She ate quite a few grains later so I am expecting great things....)
I ended with 1.5 gallons of wort leftover and I am pretty sure I followed the recipe to a tee. As you will see, my kettle was giving me all it could.

Enjoy the pics, I had a great brewday.

Recipe: Bee Cave Rye IPA
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.46 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 51.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.40 %] (90 min)
1.00 oz Chinook [12.00 %] (60 min)
0.50 oz Chinook [12.00 %] (30 min) -
0.50 oz Chinook [12.00 %] (5 min) -
1 Pkgs Nottingham

My Brewery....
Rye_IPA_BREWDAY008.JPG

The Bee Cave Rye IPA kit from Brewmasters Warehouse..
Rye_IPA_BREWDAY012.JPG

A little Edwort's Haus Pale Ale which mysteriously matured just in time....
Rye_IPA_BREWDAY0041.JPG

Heating my water
Rye_IPA_BREWDAY016.JPG

Gotta show my Water Station. That filter has saved me several steps with sloshing water buckets. The On/Off valve just behind the filter is handy as well. $18.00 for the filter and $2.00 for the valve.
Rye_IPA_BREWDAY010.JPG

First Runnings....
Rye_IPA_BREWDAY019.JPG

Grain bed...
Rye_IPA_BREWDAY021.JPG

Not another drop.....
Rye_IPA_BREWDAY0031.JPG

Chillin da Wort....
Rye_IPA_BREWDAY007.JPG

Fast forward to the Kitchen Fermention Chamber
IMG_1248.JPG

24 hours after pitching the Nottingham and it's ROLLIN...
IMG_1250.JPG

As of this posting it has been moved to my fridge and is resting at 66 and will soon ease down to 64ish.....

I'll let ya know how it goes!!!
Cheers.....

Everything went great except my Doberman, "Grace" ate my Safale-05. Fortunately I had a Nottingham backup.
(She ate quite a few grains later so I am expecting great things....)

Ye gods. I know what a little yeast in finished beer can do to a person's gut, but a whole sample in a DOG? Oh, the humanity.

I love the ghetto rigged air lock set-up, and damn I thought my kettle was filled to the brim. How do you not boil over?

I love the ghetto rigged air lock set-up, and damn I thought my kettle was filled to the brim. How do you not boil over?

Well, there was some boil over. But usually I sit right next to the cooker with one hand on the propane accelerator and one hand on a homebrew. Once it breaks I dial it down and let it roll. My burner sits a bit higher which allows me a good view of the fire for adjusting.....

The ghetto air-lock system was born out of my fears of infection. I have cats and they love nothing more than completely inspecting everything in their domain and removing the moving parts. The bag is a Hefty Light Shield.

I just kegged this RYE IPA yesterday.
OG 1.062
FG 1.007

thats some awesome attenuation you got there, whats that, around 6.5 alc?

thats some awesome attenuation you got there, whats that, around 6.5 alc?

Beersmith said 7.12% ABV and you can tell. We had several last night. It is my first Rye beer and I really like it. Bee Cave Brewery IPA is next....

You go to the brew club meetings in Baton Rouge?

I was present at the last meeting. I am 34 miles from BR so its not always easy to make them. But I always have a blast. I am thinking of brewing one for the Club Brew-off. Got to get my stuff together pretty soon if I am.
Are you there?

I was present at the last meeting. I am 34 miles from BR so its not always easy to make them. But I always have a blast. I am thinking of brewing one for the Club Brew-off. Got to get my stuff together pretty soon if I am.
Are you there?

I haven't been the past few. December was the last one. I've been tied up with moving and work. I should be able to make the next one though. I might have a bunch of beers to bring unless I drink them all first. :D

Back