sparging arm ruined my brew???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoym8e

Reaction score
i do not have an insulated hot liquor tank, so I just used my bottling bucket with 180 degree water (figured it'd cool off some by the time it reached the mash.

well, my mash was onlt 130 degrees by the time I had run out of sparge water...

now what???

I am boiling the sweet wort anyway, but what has happened (chemically) now that my sparge temp is so low?

Its ruined.

:p

Prolly the only problem would hav ebeen lower efficiency, as the 168° water would help rinse the sugars more thoroughly. Other than that, a lower temp than 168° is CERTAINLY better than a higher temp. If that was the worst of your problems, your beer will be fine.

Lower temps make a more fermentable wort. It will likely have a very low FG. Might have a little dryer taste but it should be fine.

In the future you should have some water heating on the stove (just a few quarts) so that if your mash is low you can add some very hot water. Or you could make a heatstick which works better if you have a smaller mash tun.

Yeah, basically the cooler water means your sparge won't have been as effective at rinsing the sugars out. Lower efficiency, nothing to worry about.

k I am finished. much drama/trauma.

am starting new thread about it.

Latest posts

Back